29 : Progressive Scheming

CLARA

After telling Carl about what we saw on the news and how he had decided to bring me out for some fresh air and ice-cream to get my mind off it, intentionally leaving out the details of our bonding, Stefan had suggested we order food and eat together as a form of celebration of clearing of all misunderstandings.

"Are you sure there's nothing else going on?" Carl had asked twice as we ate and it was only a miracle that I didn't choke but managed to form a smile that twinned a grimace. Stefan, on the other hand, lied easily with blank face.

It made me wonder if I was the only one thinking that there was actually something going on subconsciously between us and that thought pinched my heart.

After dinner, Carl insisted that I go back with him while Stella would ride with Stefan but Stefan interrupted, successfully making Carl and Stella agree to visit Tanya first and clear the misunderstandings before it was too late. As much as I agreed with him, it was already ten pm and I only wanted us all to get home and get some rest. But rest can wait, mending of Carl and Tanya's relationship can't.

"I hope you get your girl back, man." Stefan had said, slapping Carl's back in a manly way and my brother had nodded instead of being offended.

"Yeah, I hope so too, man."

When Stella and Carl left, Stefan turned to me and grinned. "That was what you call scheming. And progress."

"Progress?" I asked with raised eyebrows.

"Your brother doesn't hate me as much." He explained, leaning back on his car's side.

Amused, I asked again. "And scheming?"

At that, Stefan smiled mischievously and grabbed my waist, pulling my body flush against his own. "To have you all to myself for a little while longer."

I gasped when our bodies made contact but pretended be be unaffected. "I wonder why that is," I played along, wrapping my arms around his neck. Courageous, I know.

"Wanna know?" He smirked making me slap his chest but a laugh rumbled out of my chest. He kissed my forehead before pulling back slightly. "Homecoming's this Friday."

I had completely forgotten about that. "Um-hum." I hummed, however.

"Have you bought a dress?" He asked again.

I pulled back a little more and quirked an eyebrow at his question. "I don't believe that you've asked me to the dance yet, Mr. King."

Stefan groaned and pulled me even closer, if possible. "Come on, Emery. Who else will you go with?"

I pulled back, offended. "You mean no one else will take me to the dance if not for you?"

I think I heard him mutter something like, "As if someone will dare," but I won't be too sure as I was busy hurting. He groaned and rolled his eyes again. "No, that's not what I meant, Emery," He said but I didn't believe him.

He pulled me in again, turning us around so that my body was trapped between his and the car. "Emery, look at me." He pleaded when I stilled my gaze on his chest where his shirt stuck to his body like second skin. When I didn't listen to him, he lifted my chin up with his finger. "I meant that if you go with someone else, you'll lose the dare."

"Um-hm..." I nodded, not believing him. "That or you meant that if I didn't go with you, you'd lose a dare too."

Stefan smiled at that, making me a little mad. "My dear, Emery, haven't you realized it already? Your win is my win too."