Chapter 49: Insecurities

Vote, comment and share! It helps not only the story, but my motivation for writing.

I was up at 4am writing this so you guys better appreciate it >:( jkjk I love writing at night, it's so peaceful. Anywayyy enjoy!!

"Tell me about her. Let's start off small, we've got all the time in the world right now," I whispered truthfully. I sat down on the ground in front of Jace. It was damp and the leaves were wet and sticky, however, that didn't matter to me.

"Hm, yeah okay," he nodded his head slightly as he agreed with my idea. He sniffed before moving his head up so our eyes met, "What do you want to know?"

I knew then that he was still cautious, wanting me to ask rather than him just tell me.

But it was okay. Like I said, we had all the time we could have wanted.

I thought carefully about what I said next. I knew next to nothing about any of this. "How did you guys meet?"

Perfect! A question that shouldn't unintentionally trigger anything, but would have hopefully warmed him up into talking freely, unguarded.

I saw his Adam's apple move as he swallowed prior to answering as his eyes sat fixated on the ground. The sadness disappeared from his eyes for a brief moment, "We met in kinder garden. She was the one who approached me. I was a really shy kid, so I would never had spoken to anyone, let alone a girl," Jace informed me, looking up and now at me. In that moment, it was like I could see the child within him with the way he stared at me. He was trying to convince me he was telling the truth - the way he was now contrasted completely with the way he told me he was as a kid.

"Really?"

"Yeah. She came up to me that day and asked if I wanted to be her best friend. I gave her the small, silent nod that I used to give everyone," he chuckled as he thought, "She was friends with everyone but she was my only friend."

"I can't imagine you being shy or quiet," I joked, bouncing off his surprisingly jokey mood.

Thankfully, he laughed along with me.

Initially, I was under the impression that it might have been weird listening to Jace tell me about the first girl he loved, but it wasn't.

"Uh, do you want me to carry on or..."

"Of course I do."

"Um okay. So, we were friends all through middle school and that's when she started getting bullied. That was almost a turning point for me," Jace admitted.

"I was this quiet boy who would sit by himself but when she told me these two guys were picking on her, I snapped and no one ever bothered either of us again. It's what made me into the man you know and love." A cheeky grin lit up his face and I couldn't help but match it.

"Oh yeah?"

He winked, I laughed.

He blew out a heavy breath, letting me know that joking time was over.

"And in high school, my Dad made a business deal with her Dad, so her Dad would be round our house a lot and she would tag along too. That's when I started catching feelings." He opened his mouth as if he was going to say something but stopped himself immediately after.

Tell me everything, I wanted to say. But I didn't need to say it.

I trusted him.

I waited as he swallowed and closed his eyes for a second, his striking blue eyes opening and meeting mine afterwards.