Chapter 53: Alone together

VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE! . 

The steam of my fresh cup of peppermint tea smothered my face as I blankly stared into the depths of the mug. I picked up the mug and put it to my lips, taking a sip of the hot liquid and almost burning my tongue in the process.

I glanced at the empty plate on the table. I was meeting my Dad just after lunchtime but I wanted to eat beforehand. I didn't want anything from him but answers.

Today was the day, I sighed.

The day Jace came back but also the day I was going to get answers from my Dad.

Normally, I wouldn't get my hopes up with my Dad but this time it was different. I allowed myself to be hopeful because he was the one who reached out, so why wouldn't he follow through with the offer? I quickly checked my watch; I had 45 minutes till I needed to be there; it would take half an hour to drive there. I knew I was cutting it fine, I just- I needed to mentally prepare myself first.

I downed the last of my tea, grabbed my bad and car keys and left.

I pulled up at the agreed destination just in time. It was a large coffee shop that I used to go to all the time with Sydney. It's a familiar place and today, I needed some type of familiarity.

With no sign of my Dad being here yet, I decided to sit in the car for five minutes before entering. Five minutes passed and there was still no sign of him. He had always been late to things though, so not much had changed. I mentally sighed, I was already making excuses for his behaviour again. 

I climbed out the car with my phone in my hand and walked into the café. I ordered myself a frappuccino and chose a table set back from everyone else. I impatiently sipped on my chocolatey drink. I flipped my phone onto its back when it lit up with a text message.

I'm proud of you. See you soon!

Seeing that message from Jace calmed the nerves I had formed down. I couldn't wait to see, smell and hold him again - but I had to get this done first. I carefully placed my phone face down against the wooden table I sat at and stared out the dirty window of the car park. I was desperately searching for a sign that he was just late.

Many hours and frappuccino's had been wasted as I still sat at the same table just waiting. 

Waiting for my father to show up and not just leave me again.

The café had calmed down now. The once bubbly and upbeat vibe now matched my own disheartened one. I pushed a smile onto my face as one of the waitresses I had chatted with a lot asked if I had still not had any luck. I shook my head.

With my phone grasped in my hand, I distracted myself by going through the many supporting texts I had received from my friends. This time a genuine smile stretched my lips as I read through the stupid but hilarious conversation everyone was having in the group chat.

But my laughter was interrupted by the noise of a chair being dragged against the ground opposite me. I nervously glanced up. It was the worker shutting the café for the night - I was the last one in here.

I grabbed my stuff and got out of there as quickly as I could.

My car still sat idle in the car park, I sighed deeply. I honestly only had myself to blame for feeling the way I do. I should have known that, I alone are not enough for him to show up. I felt the same way I did all those years ago, all those buried emotions resurfacing. I had agreed to pick Jace up from the airport, but there were still hours and hours before that time. I turned the key of my car, starting the ignition and manoeuvred my way out the car park.