Chapter 18: See you soon

"What the fuck was that?" Calla asked. I couldn't tell if she was shocked or excited, but her voice was squeakier than normal. 

"Calla, how come you're back?" I questioned. She wasn't supposed to be back till tomorrow. 

"They kissed," Sydney said in a matter-of-fact tone, completely ignoring my question.

"I was gone for one day. One day!" Calla shouted. She is so dramatic it drives me insane!

"You and Jace?" I just about heard Lucas ask over the brain numbing sound of Syd and Calla's nonsense chatting. He had a confused but worried look in his eyes, I couldn't tell why. 

"I guess so," I shrugged looking Lucas directly in the eye. Something about him was off about all of this.

He stood there for a second, analysing my face. "As long as you're happy," he said, and I nodded. He smiled at me apologetically before I heard his footsteps lead up the stairs. I knew why he smiled at me like that. It was about earlier and to be honest, I hope they sorted everything out between them. Sydney and Lucas would make a great couple. 

I sat there for what felt like forever just waiting for the two grown women in front of me to calm down. They were acting like little children on Christmas morning, waiting for the time where they could rip open all their present. I didn't want to be ripped open.

I got up off the couch, walked into the kitchen, got a drink from the fridge, came back in the room, and sat back down. They hadn't even noticed I had left. 

"Are you two going to shut up anytime soon or..." I asked but got ignored for the second time in a short amount of time. I had enough. I got up and walked to the bottom of the stairs. I shouted, "Let me know once you two have stopped acting like idiots then I'll come back and talk to you," and walked up into my bedroom. 

I plopped myself down on my bed after getting ready for bed and laid down on my back, my lights already on pink. I felt a whole range of different emotions. Happiness and excitement to nervousness and complete exhaust. I thought back to the crazy events of the last 24 hours. A lot can happen in that time. 

I turned my lights off and got into bed. I picked up my phone from where I had thrown it on my bed and looked at the time, it was 1:38am. Going to turn it on silent for the night, I noticed a notification. 

A text from Jace. I would usually leave replying to it till the next day, but I opened it straight away. 

You asleep? 

I sent a quick "going to be" back and placed my phone on my bedside cabinet. I had my eyes closed but I still managed to notice the light of my phone ringing cutting through the darkness of my room. I left it to ring, not thinking properly due to tiredness. 

It rang again. 

Annoyed, I slapped my hand onto the table, searching blindly for my phone. Once I had located it, I answered and held it to my ear.  

"That wasn't very nice," Jace's low voice said into the phone. I shuddered but blamed it on the fact the cover I was laying under had shifted, exposing my skin to the cold air. 

"What wasn't?" I asked, shifting my body so I was now sitting up with my back on the headboard. 

"You ignoring me." 

"What? When?" I asked through a yawn. My brain was moving extremely slow due to the lack of sleep I had recently. I rubbed my eyes when I noticed the noise from downstairs had quietened. 

He chuckled deeply as I heard shuffling of sheets from his end of the phone. He must be in bed like I am. "This is my second time ringing you. Just this time, you picked up."