Chapter 43: He who we can't name

Smash the vote button if you like surprise updates like these ;)
Another long chapter so get ready!!!

Opening the house door, I made sure my car was locked and placed my keys gently on the hard surface.

It was the early hours of the morning and I assumed everyone was asleep, hence why I was creeping around the house. As I turned the corner to the kitchen, I learnt that I was extremely mistaken.

Everyone was still wide awake and all sitting on the kitchen counters talking. Syd and Lucas were sitting together but what surprised me was Calla sitting opposite them, a glass of water in her hand.

Sydney immediately spun round, looking at me with a large smile on her face as she leaped off the counter. She then proceeded to run over and smother me in a hug.

That was a complete overreaction, even for Syd who is the most dramatic person I've ever known. She had never greeted me like that previously.

I smiled at Lucas over Sydney's shoulder. He returned the friendly gesture, but there was something else to it, kind of how Syd was overreacting now. Another thing I had noticed was how Calla was avoiding eye contact with me, she looked down as soon as she saw me looking at Lucas.

Suddenly, I was being dragged backwards and was shoved into the living room, hearing the sound of the doors shutting behind us. I knew what was going to happen the second we were out of ear shot of the other two.

"Please, take a seat," Sydney started and I looked at her with the most disinterested look on my face. I slowly took a seat on the couch and she enthusiastically plopped down next to me.

She had this hyper look on her face. I sighed. Considering how late at night it was, I took a moment to mentally prepare myself for the questions that I knew I was soon going to be bombarded with.

"Why are you still awake?" I asked, attempting to distract her and to get her to start talking about herself. All she gave me was a brief shrug of her small shoulders. She rested her head on her hand and looked me over.

Why was she like this?

A small grin stretched across her lips, "Nice coat by the way," she started and I mentally cursed that I forgot about Darius' coat, "However, I can't remember you leaving with one."

"Sydney, just cut to the chase."

"Who's is it? How did you meet? Do you like them? Are they good looking? Oh no, wait- did they help you get over he who we can't name?"

I gathered all my many confused thoughts after being drowned in questions. If I'm honest, I couldn't make out any of the middle questions due to the speed and highness of her voice, but I doubt they were that important.

"Syd, this isn't my jacket, it's Darius'. You know the guy that I went to the party with? And he's nothing more than a friend. Secondly, Jace," I said, adding emphasis on Jace's name. I had no idea where she got the whole 'who can't be named' thing but I wasn't feeling it, "has a name."

Syd sat there like she was waiting for me to carry on but there wasn't really too much to say.

That's a lie – there was a lot to say but nothing that she would have wanted to hear.

She opened her mouth and I quickly interrupted her before exited her mouth.

"I need a drink," I announced standing up and trying to get to the doors as quick as I could. I made sure to take Darius' coat off beforehand. Lucas probably would even think twice about it and Calla has been... distant recently so the only person who would properly notice is Syd. But it's better to be safe than sorry.