Chapter 31: Nothing

Vote and comment. It'll make my evening better :)

Ivy's POV

It had been three days since Jace had brought me back home and three days since the last time we had seen each other.

I had to catch up on a shit ton of back-logged work. I was going to catch up on work that I had missed over the weekend, but obviously Jace had other plans, meaning I was even more behind than before since I kept having 'sick days'. They were something that I had been using more frequently since I met him.

But even with all the work I had in front of me and I knew I had to work through, I couldn't concentrate. My mind just kept wondering off thinking about every and anything but what I needed to get done right now.

The brightness of the computer was screaming at me, the thickest piles of paperwork I have ever seen were depressing and the many invites I had to stuff into envelopes were concerning but yet, none of that stopped me from blankly staring out the window just how I was now.

I was spinning my favourite rose gold, black ball tip pen skilfully between my fingers. Funnily enough, I had taught myself pen tricks when I was in class and not paying attention, just how I was now. Five minutes beforehand, I was spinning repetitively in my chair but had to stop when I started the feel my lunch rising into my throat.

My eyes followed an aeroplane that was flying high up in the sky.

How hard I would have to throw the pen that is in my hand for it to hit the plane? Imagine sitting on top of a plane as it flew. That would be so scary. What would I have to do if the plane crashed right in front of me? Who would I call?

I shook my head, discarding my bizarre thoughts as I noticed the sound of a high-pitched clicking. It was oddly satisfying but annoying at the same time. The clicks were of equally spaced out with the fourth click sounding more like a scrape than the others.

I randomly began counting the click clacking noise, gathering them in groups of ten when I felt as if they were getting closer and closer to me. I sat up straight and did a full 360 spin in my swivel chair – over spinning – when I my brain finally comprehended what and where it was coming from.

I scrambled over to my desk. I almost fell off my chair but grasped onto the desk before my body had chance to hit the floor. However, when I grabbed onto the surface, I must have done it so fast that one of the invitations that I had to package up fell directly into the shredder.

I watched it fall slowly into the shredder. I didn't think much of it till I heard the mechanics of it going.

I hit my head on the table, accidentally. I was supposed to pretend to hit my head against the table in frustration but accidentally actually followed through with the action.

How the fuck does one single piece of paper perfectly land into an automatic shredder and shred itself? I had no idea but I knew I was going to somehow make another invite.

My head shot up and my hands instantly started mindlessly typing on the fancy computer in front of me. I had to make it look like I was doing some type of work for when my boss walks in. But she didn't. She just walked past without even peeking in here.

I groaned at the feeling of a headache forming and spreading in my head due to the contact my head and the desk had. I drank some of the orange juice I had in my bag and picked up my phone out of the bottom of my bag too. I had purposely turned it off this morning so I could get my work done.

I sat there, my phone in my hand and contemplated turning it on.

I haven't actually done any of the work I had to do today so what's the point of not going on it now? I mean, I had already been at work for seven hours and had accomplished absolutely nothing constructive. I only had an hour and a half left anyway.