Chapter 22: Couldn't resist me

"Hey! That was my last bit of drink left," I complained when he handed me my now empty cup back. I heard him gently laugh to himself as he slouched back into the seat.

"Can I have the aux cord?" I asked. I got no response.

"Please?" I pouted, dragging out the end of the word.

I noticed him glance at me from the corner of his eye, "You know I was going to give it to you regardless," he chuckled.

"See, I knew you couldn't resist me," I cheekily winked.

Taking my phone out of my pocket, I opened Spotify and put one of my playlists on shuffle. I connected my phone to his car and turned the volume up.

The first song that played through the speaker was Cry baby by The Neighbourhood.

I have always felt awkward when I play music in front of other people but when I heard the sound of Jace faintly humming the tune under his breath, I felt more relaxed.

"You know this song?"

"Yeah, I do funnily enough."

Jace placed his hand on my thigh just above my knee. He acted as if it was just a normal and innocent gesture.

He was clutching onto the steering wheel with his left hand, his light brown hair looked golden in the lighting of the 2pm sun, his other hand resting my thigh.

I sang along to the lyrics under my breath. I glanced at Jace when the song hit the chorus and felt as if the lyrics and the story of the song reflected exactly how I was feeling.

I can taste it, my heart's breakin', please don't say
That you know, when you know

I felt as if I was just awaiting the next time Jace will leave me again. I trust him when he tells me that he won't leave, but that doesn't completely kill my worry. He has just gone and left twice before, so what's stopping him from doing it again?

I just... I don't know. I don't want to be that person that sticks around every time he leaves and then comes back weeks later with little to no explanation. That's not what I'm here for, to be a backup plan or the person he hangs with but doesn't tell stuff to.

I know I'll fall in love with you, baby
And that's not what I wanna do

The thought of falling in love crossed my mind. More specifically, falling in love with Jace.

It is definitely possible, falling in love with Jace, but I felt as if, if you spend enough time with someone, the possibility of loving them is almost definite.

I have never properly been in love. I liked Justin, until I caught his real personality and anyone before that is kind of irrelevant. They were people I thought I liked when I was a teenager, nothing serious. But even though I never knew or had experience of the feeling, I knew that I could easily fall in love with him. 

But what I didn't know was if that was what I wanted. More importantly, if that's something we're both ready for.

I'm not saying that it'll necessarily happen anytime soon, and we still have a lot of time till that happens but... I guess I'm just overthinking things again. Over complicating everything.

"Not everything needs to be decided straight away. You don't need to know everything straight away," I reminded myself.

"What was that?" Jace questioned, turning his head to temporarily look at me as he said it. I must have said that out loud.

"Nothing," I said, feeling thankful for Jace interrupting what was going on in my head. I can sometimes go to far with worrying about things that I can't control.

"Are you okay?" He moved his hand off my leg and into my hand.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Princess, I thought we had established that when people say that they're 'fine' that they are, in fact, the complete opposite," he reminded me. I felt his thumb tracing circles on the back of my hand. That seemed to be something that he did when he knew I was feeling stressed.

I inwardly sighed, "I'm good. Just thinking about stuff," I honestly replied. I was thinking about stuff, I just wasn't going to go into detail about what exactly.

"Well, you know I'm here if you need to get something off your chest."

"Yeah, I know. Thank you, Jace." 

*

I almost couldn't upload this because it was glitching and wouldn't let me access the work but I fixed it. 

Who else overthinks things? I do certain things, but I don't overthink stuff no where near as bad as I used to. 

Don't forget to vote, comment and share!

Thank you for reading :)