Chapter 28: Clingy

Touch the little vote button at the bottom of your screen. Show it some love :) 

I sat in the back of the car with Jace on my right, Sky and Kate in the front of the car, his hand holding mine, my head resting on his shoulder. Even though how physically close we were right now, I couldn't help the fact that I was distant in my head.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't evade the torturous thoughts relating to what Sky had said earlier from constantly showing up. It felt like as soon as Jace and I were getting past one thing, another always showed up and threw everything up in the air.

I knew that with every task we came across and overcame together, our bond would only get stronger, but what I didn't know was how long I could put up with it. I felt as if I knew a lot about Jace, everything I wanted to know. But it was what I didn't know that scared me, what he had been keeping from me and what I needed to know.

People learn to hide, deny and forget the parts that made them vulnerable. Being vulnerable allows you to be hurt, something that is scary to many people. To people like Jace. But what people also tend to forget is that being vulnerable with your partner allows a deeper connection. It allows a better level of understanding and allowing someone to love you as well as loving them. Learning from your past mistakes is key but living in the past is where a large amount of people fail.

I didn't want to fail. Not with him.

That's why it sucked having two different ideas of what I should do.

I will give him time to tell me everything when he feels comfortable but at the same time, I don't know how long that will be. I was not going to sacrifice my boundaries and beliefs for him, no, he needed to respect my boundaries as much as I respected his. Maybe I was over-reacting, maybe I wasn't but all I knew was I was doing everything I could with the best intentions.

I don't know where we would end up, no one ever does. That's life. But what I do know is that I will do everything in my power to create the outcome I want.

I glanced at his phone that was in his lap. There was nothing special about the screensaver, just a black screen, however it was the text messages from Sydney that were coming through that caught my eye.

After Jace dragged me inside after I spoke with his Mum earlier, I locked myself in the bathroom and rang Syd. I informed her on all that had happened including my worries about everything. She told me that it was nothing to worry about and that she will sort it out. I'm guessing her sorting it out was her telling Jace.

Jace stretched his arms in his seat, making me move out of his arms and sit up.

Once he had finished stretching, he turned his body so he was facing me. He held both is arms out towards me, waving his hands at me to sit in his arms. I raised my eyebrows while looking him up and down before settling back on his eyes.

"Sit with me. I'm getting cold," he cutely whined. I grinned while shaking my head, annoyed at myself for finding that so adorable. I shifted my body so I sat with Jace as his arms wrapped back around me. I relaxed in his hold and rested my head on his chest, hearing his heartbeat through his chest. I know who the clingy one out the two of us is.

I felt him smooth down the back of my hair as he kissed me on the top of my head. I noticed Kate looking at us from the rear-view mirror and smiled before returning her attention back to the road.

"Princess?"

"Yeah?" I turned so I was looking up at him.

"I forgot to tell you that an unknown number rang you earlier," he informed me. It was probably the same one that had been pointlessly ringing me for weeks.

"Really? Who was it?"

"Uh... I don't know exactly."

"You did answer it, right?"

"Yeah," he admitted. He almost sounded nervous but I wasn't sure why.

"Did they not say who it was?" I quietly asked. For some reason, we were both talking in hushed tones. It probably had something to do with the fact that his Mum and sister were in the front.

"Not really. He only said that it was someone that you probably didn't want to know." Oh. Why would anyone say that?

"Oh."

A line in-between my eyebrows formed as my mind instantly began going through a list of people that may have that impression on me. I'm not saying that for some people it's not true, but most I would definitely like to think that they think differently about me.

"I'm sure it's nothing," Jace whispered and tenderly kissed my lips. I hoped he was right.   

(A/N) Another short chapter I know, I know. There are some longer and quite interesting chapters coming up so definitely stay tuned for that! 

I would just like to say thank you all so much for 1k reads! It honestly means so much to me as I wasn't sure how people would feel about my writing. Writing has been something that I have done and enjoyed doing since I was little so it's nice to see that you guys are enjoying it! I know to a lot of people 1k reads isn't a lot, but considering I started this account fresh - no followers, comments on other books, nothing - it's amazing to me seeing how far I have come in just under a month. 

Anyway, now the sappy bit is over, thank you for reading :))