Chapter 15: Falling for me

This is quite a long one so get ready! 

I woke up to a deadly silent penthouse and in a room I didn't recognise.

I sat up as everything that happened last night came rushing back. A horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach made me question my choice of letting him in. Did I over share? I felt guilty, remembering his face when I told him about how my Dad had treated me. Jace doesn't need to or deserve to carry the burden of my own problems and that's what happened when I told him, right?

I deeply sighed at the internal fight inside me. I shouldn't had let him carry my problems but at the same time, I trusted him enough to tell him so why shouldn't I?

I got out of bed and tried to shake the feeling. I needed to be more open with people. For my sake and theirs. It is a bad habit of mine that I had learnt from an early age, to internalise my problems, and I need to stop.

I spun around, taking in the room I spent the night in. It had the same simple colour scheme of mostly blacks, grey, white and blues as the rest of the penthouse but there was something slightly different about this room in particular. On top of the cabinet I saw something glimmer once I turned the light on. I walked over to it and did some snooping as I was alone.

A few different types of earrings, a perfume bottle and rings laid on the surface of the white cabinet, clearly all female items.

I don't think he had ever mentioned a girlfriend before. No, he hasn't. I would have remembered that.

I continued to open one of the drawers, my curiosity and nosiness being sparked by the jewellery I discovered. Sure enough, there were girls' clothes neatly folded in the drawer. There must be a woman staying here with him. Why else would he keep female clothes?

Feeling like I had overstepped my mark, I managed to make my way into a bathroom. I remembered how to get there from brief the tour Jace gave me yesterday.

I made my way towards the sink in the huge bathroom. Clothes, a toothbrush and a hairbrush were carefully placed next to the fancy tap and I immediately felt grateful. I quickly got changed into the classy work clothes Jace had provided me with and inspected the hairbrush. It was clearly not for my hair; I would have broken it just trying to brush it through once. So, I tied my hair up in a tight bun, thanking myself for always carrying a spare hair tie on my wrist at all times.

My mind wondered off to last night again as I stood there brushing my teeth.

It is almost scary how much I already trust Jace. Last night I just fell asleep in his presence without even thinking about it. I am never usually that. Not necessarily careless, but comfortable around a guy. I have been taught to always be on high alert while around guys, to never let your guard completely down but yet, that is exactly what I am doing with Jace.

How long till Jace knows enough about me to use it against me? I don't want our relationship to be like that. I feel like I want... more.

Feeling uneasy and confused by what I just confessed to myself, I went into the kitchen and distracted me from my thoughts with food.

I had walked into the kitchen when the first thing I noticed was a smartly written out note pinned to the fridge. I walked over to it and carefully moved the magnet that had stopped it from sliding off the fridge, being careful not to rip it.

Sorry I had to leave this morning. I wish I could have been there, but something came up. Anyway, there is bread in the fridge and the toaster is in the second cupboard to the left of the oven. I hope the clothes I got for you are okay. -Jace.