Chapter 49 - Trackers Found

FORTY MINUTES.

Twenty-five seconds.

That's how fast it happened. Dressed in nothing but a thin layer of white dress, the auction ended before it even started for me. I didn't get a chance to stand in the line where the rest of the prisoners stood. But I didn't have to. I only had to watch, and it was the single most horrifying thing I had ever witnessed. I recognized the girls that were being sold, and it hurt my heart. I was meant to protect them. Klaus was supposed to be here for me by now. Why wasn't he here?

The minute the auction ended, I was pulled up to my feet and dragged away. I didn't have a choice. My feet were gliding across the floor unwillingly. But the way I was being pulled away...something didn't feel right. Something was wrong.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked when I was pulled into a room. I didn't recognize the room, but it was secluded from the rest of the rooms. Here, there was nobody but me. I shivered as someone pushed me down on a wooden chair right in the center of the room. Icy shards of fear skittered down my back as I looked around. My blood turned cold. The dress clung to me like a vise grip. I looked up to see a small lightbulb hanging over my head. This reminded me of an interrogation room, but the only difference was this wasn't a precinct. I wasn't at Klaus' lair. I was in Salvatore's self-made prison.

The door kicked open, and I jumped the moment a familiar pair of eyes landed on mine. Every hair on the back of my neck stood again, and I visibly shivered being held down on the seat. There were more men in the room than I've ever seen when I first got here. What was I going to do, run? And run where? I didn't need this many bodyguards watching after me. I didn't understand the situation here. My gaze met Salvatore's. There was a table laid out in front of me, and a chair on the opposite side to where he sat, facing me.

"I'm losing my patience here, Maya," he said, laying out the same set of papers he showed me the minute I got here. "Sign them. Now." He was telling me to sign my life away again, and it wasn't even my birthday. Why the urgency if he knew it wouldn't go through without a lawyer present and a witness? I had no desire to sign, so I sat back, but the man behind me wasn't compliant with my stubbornness. He had full power over me just like Salvatore, so he grabbed the back of my neck with a force, and pushed my head down until my cheek hit the table. I groaned audibly when his fingers pushed deeper into the back of my neck.

I fought against the man but he was much stronger than me. I didn't like where his fingers were, and they were pushing against something that could easily break inside of me. I had three layers of protection on me, and one was in my pocket. The other one was getting ready to be compromised. Sooner or later, they were going to find out about it. I whimpered when some pressed a finger directly where the tracker sat. My instincts were right. The finger didn't hover away from the tracker that alone confirmed my suspicions. They knew.

"You aren't as smart as you think you are, Maya. And neither is your boyfriend, Klaus. Putting trackers in your body is not going to save you from me," Salvator spoke into my ear, vehemently. Unshed tears burned my eyes and I told myself I wouldn't cry in front of him anymore, but when someone pushed a sharp knife on the back of my neck, I screamed. Tears bled down my face like warm blood, and I cried and thrashed against the table as someone cut my skin open to let the tracker out. I was afraid of the sharp severing my spine. The pain blinded me. Fight or flight instincts kicked it, and I cursed. Salvator took my bloody tracker and threw it by my face on the table.

"You know, selling you would have gotten me a lot of money. I had to sacrifice that for you. You should be thankful you're here and not there."

"How did you know?" I spat. I heard Salvator suck in air, and then he chuckled before rounding the table until he was in front of me. I was afraid of sitting up, so I kept my face planted against the table.

"You can thank Daniel for that," he confirmed. My heart breaks. No. NO! I clutched the back of neck, and added pressure before slowly lifting my head to look at the traitor. I groaned in pain as more tears bled down my face.

"Daniel? Why?" Matt moved forward in his police uniform, and I looked at him in disgust.

"Sorry, sweetheart. I had no other choice."

"No choice? You had Klaus! He trusted you. How could you do this to him?" If I wasn't disabled like I was right now by slowly bleeding out, I would have jumped the second I had a chance and attacked the traitor with everything I got. I might not have done much damage to him, but I would have hurt him enough to prove a point. Klaus trusted him. Klaus befriend him. What would others say or think if they knew? Did the others know? We're the others just like him?

"There's another tracker on her," Daniel said, looking away. I saw it in his eyes. He didn't want to do this but he was doing it anyways. Why? Why would he do this? What did Salvator have on him?

"Don't do this, Daniel," I pleaded, growing lightheaded.

"Another tracker? Well, this just got more interesting. Do kindly tell us, Daniel." Why was this happening?

"Where's Kayla?" I chimed in, panic in my voice.

"Where's the tracker, Daniel?" Salvator growled, grinding his teeth.

"Don't please, Daniel! Klaus will kill you. Don't be his enemy!"

"Daniel, last chance. Tell me where the other tracker is."

"Salvator! Tell me where Kayla is!" I screamed. Salvator reached over and slapped me across the face, hard, with the back of his hand. Black spots swan in my vision and I struggled to keep my eyes open.

"Daniel...don't. Whatever he has...on...you..."

"It's in her bracelet."