Chapter 2 - First day of College

Okay. I came here yesterday. To tour, that is. And it wasn't so hard for me as it is today. So how does this happen? I'm lost. If you ask me...I'm not so familiar with outside schools at all. In fact, I wasn't even allowed to go into one when my mother was alive. So this whole getting out and exploring thing is new. I look at my schedule, and then around. If my paper says room 400, and I'm on the 700's then there is something seriously wrong here. I'm nowhere near where I should be at. How did that happen?

"You look like you're lost," a deep voice says from behind me. Startled, I flinch a little before turning to the source of my distraction. I chuckle nervously.

"Yeah...something like that." He's nice looking. Tall, blonde, blue eyes, built. Typical man, the way I see in TV's. But, it's not enough to keep me here wasting my time when I could be looking for my class and actually getting there on time. Is that too mean? I don't want to be late on my first day. I'm not used to it.

"Let me see." He takes my schedule from me and glances at it. Then he chuckles before looking at the little silver board that says, 700's. Okay. Yeah, I get it. No need to make fun of me.

"Come on. I'll lead you. I'm going the same way." His genuine smile is enough to win me, so I follow.

"I'm Maya," I call out. He stops for a moment.

"Brent Lockwood. I'm the Career Administrator in the 200's." Oh. An administrator? Who knew. I nod, and walk behind him. Well, he can't be my first friend then. He's not even a student. So young, so handsome, so—

"How do you like it here so far? I heard you're new to this town." I nod but then realize he can't see me.

"It's beautiful. Best decision I ever made," I mumble. New Jersey had nothing left for me. No house, no family, no friends, nothing. I wonder if I even have family outside of New Jersey?

"I'm glad you like it. This is where you need to be. We have a new professor joining in today with you." I don't even realize we have reached the 200's until he reminds me. He sparks a dazzling smile at me, and I can't help but blush.

"Thank you. I really appreciate that."

"No problem. Let me know if you need anything, okay? My office is right around the corner." He winks at me before walking away. Was he flirting with me or was that a simple act of kindness? I can't tell. I wouldn't know. We barely made eye contact. Sighing, I turn to the room that I was originally suppose to be in. My heart drums audibly against my chest, and so much that I can actually hear it. I'm almost afraid to walk in there but my feet speaks on its own as it drags me in further until I'm all the way in. I've seen classrooms like these but only in TV. It's large, with plethora of seats that can hold at least fifty people, and a huge board in front of me. Kind of looks like a board room. Or a small auditorium?

I seem to be the eighteenth one in the room. When I find my seat, everyone starts to pile in. Safe to say I'm neither early nor am I late. I'm simply on time. I pull my books out but realize no one is reciprocating me. Am I already an overachiever? I nervously sit back in peace and wait.

"Hi! May I sit with you? The class seems to be getting packed. This is actually a very good seat. Unless there's someone already here. Then it's fine. But if no one is—" I stop the voice that speaks behind me. I turn and smile. Female. First female student to approach me. And talkative, that is. Very talkative.