Chapter 35 - Redemption in Revenge

Klaus' POV.

Catastrophic darkness took a nasty turn, twisted around, and caused a wreckage inside of me. Bursting lava took a erupted inside of my eyes and normalcy became nonexistent. My pulse pounded against the flesh and my hand ached but I refused to stop. Bare knuckles connected with the punching bag until my flesh split open, letting blood pool down between fingers.

You weren't supposed to be the one! I vowed in all blood, flesh and bones that I'd kill the girl, the spawn of the devil who took everything away from me. Blood for blood, a soul for a soul. It didn't matter who it was, I vowed to seek revenge. I don't break my promises! The chains rattled from the ceiling, threatening the bag to break but I continued. Agonizing ache shoot through my body. Whose face did I want to see while I punched my intense, raw anger out? Maya, who I loved with everything I had in me, or her father, who took everything away from me? I unraveled, roaring as the bag unclipped from the chain and flew two feet away from me.

"Klaus!" Junebug yells, flying towards me. Men pile in but my focus is elsewhere, entirely on Maya who became something to a nothing in a snap of a finger. Her face, memories, scent, and curves haunt me as I launch myself against the wall and throw a punch right through the wall. The impact is hard enough to cause intense pain throughout my body. Rage builds every second that passes by. The beasts inside of me rattles the cage, threatening to break free. Hands pull me back, preventing me from doing any more damage.

"Goddammit, Tyler, go get me a first aid kit." The damage on my knuckles is nothing compared to my heart that's battered at every heartbeat that misses the woman who became my worst enemy. My eyes gloss over, red fury bursting in them. Tyler runs in, and cleans my hands before wrapping the self-adherent wrap around my knuckles. I ignore the pain and focus solely on maintaining a composure.  But every second that ticked, the urge to hurt, to kill, to maim increased, taking over me.

"Klaus. Snap out of it," Junebug yells. But all I hear is a whisper. All I feel is pain—the agonizing ache that slowly builds inside of me. Icy tingles run through my veins, numbing me out all while an intense heat surges through me. The betrayal hurts far worst than anything imaginable. Fuck!

"Why. Why!" I roar, swiping my hand through the desk in frenzy, knocking everything off to the ground in one thrust of my hand. Brain shattering migraine shoots through my head and my veins throb. I fall back against the wall. Dark clouds take over the sun shining over me and I succumb to sheer darkness. Images of my palm connecting with Maya's cheek flashes through my brain and I groan. Her face, her innocent face— I marked it. I made her bleed.

There's nothing no one can say to me. No right answer, no wrong answer. They watched while I seethed internally. There was nothing to hide, no emotions to ignore. Violence ran in my blood. Living in an empty, hollow shell all throughout my life was a solid reason for my beast to be hidden behind bars. Revenge ran thick into my blood, and every ashes of my family meant my walls were crumbling. I let one woman into my life and that one woman turned out to be the sparrow of my sorrows.

Whereas there was a thick thread between, now became thin. My Maya. My sweet, sweet Maya. I wanted to give her the world. I wanted to take away every pain she ever endured in life. That was the thread, making me weak, making me fall to my knees. There was a connection. There has always been a connection. But then the images of my sister flashes through my brain and the connection breaks. The thread disconnects, putting a tower between us.

I once wanted to be her knight in shining armor. I once wanted to give her everything she ever deserved. Now...now I want her blood. I want her tears. I want her to scream in agony just like my sister did. While one died, the other still lived. I'm not going to kill her. I'm going to keep her alive, barely, enough to watch me shred her father to pieces. The more I wanted to keep the sweet memories alive in my brain, the more it started to dissipate. And eye for an eye. There will be no redemption. There will be no salvation.

Only agony and death.

Completely darkness took over me and Maya became my worst enemy. The more I thought of her, the less I felt for her. How does she feel about knowing whose daughter she is? She's fucking rich, belonging to the Smithson family. The purest family was her fucking bloodline.

"Klaus—"

My past swallowed my mind, consuming me. Long time ago, I couldn't retaliate. I was weak. I watched my family suffer. I watched them turn into ashes. Years ago, weakness became me. Now, strength swallowed my weakness. The urge to retaliate grew. Salvatore broke my strongest sister. Now, I will break his strongest daughter. He pushed my sister into darkness. Now, it will be his daughter.

"She's innocent in this game," a voice says from behind me. I turn, no longer bounded in love spell. Emotions wrecked havoc in me but the only one I focused on was rage. Rage because this is reality. Rage because I fell for a woman who has blood of a devil running through her delicate body. I can't worship a woman whose family was the cause of my downfall. There's no innocence. There are only tricks played. I seethe, turning against my own friend.

"My sister was innocent in this game." She always was. I didn't start this nuclear war but I will end it.

"You love her," Matt clarifies, slipping through my boundary. For a split second, the dark cloud floats away from my light and a tingling of raw emotion tears through me, reminding me of the time my heart melted for her, the only woman who became my everything. But then the clouds wash over me and light vanishes from inside of me. That quick, reality flashes through my eyes. It won't change. Nothing will change. Revenge runs so deep into my veins that nothing else matters. Anger turns up a notch inside of me and I burst, forgetting loyalty. In two strides, I have Matt by his collar, glaring daggers at him. The others step back in shock and Matt swallows a lump down his throat, apprehension plastered on his face. What to say, what not to say no longer mattered. What came out headfirst mattered. A small part of me knew he was right but a bigger part of me overruled it. There was no going back.

Dead images of my family won't let me go back. My sister's agony won't let me go back. So many innocent lives lost won't let me go back to how I felt, falling headfirst into something powerful. Too much water crossed over the bridge. I'll live my life knowing I avenged my family. I'll live my life knowing I once loved a woman, enough to let her into my heart. And now I'll live my life knowing the woman no longer existed. 

I'm sorry, Maya but my sister will be brought to justice.

"Daniel." His eyes connect with mine, gloomy, saddened. He understood my eyes and proceed to shake his head in denial but I ignore him, breaking that connection. What once connected Maya and I will now be destroyed. This ends everything. And a new beginning transforms in a form of sweet, raw vengeance. For all the lives lost, one life will remain with me.

And then I will destroy everything in the name of justice. Love will be tarnished forever and the knowledge tears through my heart. But I need to disconnect myself completely. And I will make sure it happens. A criminal's daughter will no longer be my downfall. May her mother rest in hell, knowing she was the cause of Smithsons' downfall. One life for another. One tarnish for another.

I close my eyes, asking myself one last time. Do I love her enough to give her a small room in my heart or is my hatred for her father the reason I will never accept her? It's now or never. I can't answer my own question. I can't pass through my confusion but a familiar face pops up and it's all I need for a confirmation.

Blue eyes, brown hair stare at me in all her angelic glory. Untouched, and unmarred. Her small smile pierces through my heart.

"Avenge me, brother. She is evil. She belongs to the devil." I open my eyes. This is for her mother's and father's crimes. In all her innocence, I will make sure Maya suffers. She will be punished for her family's crime. Her test begins.

"Call Salvatore. It's time we had a little chat."