Chapter 46 - No Time To Think

I sat here for what felt like an eternity against the cold, damp wall. Nothing helped. I had banged on the doors repeatedly for the past thirty minutes, with no one to hear me. I was growing impatient, and extremely eager and curious about Kayla. The only thing that helped my nerves was the bracelet around my wrist. I twirled the thin thread with a small pendal, softly, and with much feather-like touch. This was the only thing along side tracking chips in my body that was giving me strength.

"Strange," Kellie says, from a different corner opposite of me. I look at her.

"What?"

"You still have that thing around your wrist. And your clothes." 

"What does that supposed to mean?" I stop touching the bracelet. The blonde spoke this time.

"Look at us. Do you see anything of such sort on us? Look at our clothes." I observed them, confused. Before I could speak, a different girl beats me to it.

"Soon, they're going to strip everything you have ever known off of you. You're going to turn into one of us. Properly." My heart stopped beating for a second, halting in my chest. An aching pain embedded itself into my belly, my blood turning cold. I looked down at my wrist. I couldn't let them take this away from me. It helped my nerves that there were still two different types of tracking devices lodged inside of me in different areas of the body, but still. Taking this away could become a problem. What if they find out? I pulled the bracelet off of my wrist.

"I can't let them take this away from me," I mumble. 

"And why is that?" Kellie asks, chuckling. I can't tell them the truth. Frankly because I didn't trust all of them. One of them, out of fear, could rat me out and it'd be game over. I chose not to answer. I needed to hide this bracelet here. But, where? There was nothing here that could protect this bracelet from being seen. I got up, hoping to find something useful. My resources were fruitless. Besides the rotten, ripped-up, bruised, spring mattresses, and buckets in the corner, there were no other raw materials left in the room. Defeated, I walked towards a different corner of the room. Kellie stood, coming behind me.

"What are you doing?" I turned to face her. 

"I need to hide this bracelet somewhere here before they find out about it."

"Why?" Kellie asked, folding her arms.

"Can't explain." My search was fruitless. I couldn't figure out a solid place to hide it. I could throw it in the corner somewhere, hoping they'd somehow miss it, but I didn't want to take a chance. I also could give it to one of these girls here but that's also a risky plan. They really made sure nothing materialistic was kept here other than what was already kept here. They didn't even provide blankets here. This was worse than jails. Defeated, I slump against my wall and slide down.

"What's with the bracelet?" Kellie asks, sitting down with me. I look at her, stunned that she's sitting next to me. I shake my head.

"This is a very valuable thing for me," I sigh.

"It won't stay with you forever, you know? Some things you have to start sacrificing if you want to live." Kellie starts to get up but I grab her hand. 

"This will keep us all alive." Her head sharply turns to me, curiosity edged on her face. She sits down next to me. 

"Nothing will keep us safe." By now, everyone has gathered around us, curious.

"There is a tracker etched into this bracelet. I'm being tracked. Help is coming for me. For Kayla. For us," I speak, softly. Hushed murmurs go around the room, everyone talking at the same time.

"Be quite!" Kellie warns. She diverts her attention back to me, her eyes getting softer. 

"Your idea of hiding it is smart. But, there's just one problem. There is nowhere you can hide that here." 

"I know. I'm not sure what else to do here." 

"There is one thing you can do. But, it's risky," another girl says, coming to sit next to me. 

"And what is that?" She's quite for a minute before coming even closer to me.

"When they take you out of here, they're going to want to strip you of everything you came in with. That includes your jewelry. You can't hide that here, but you can hide it there."

"Hide it there? How?" 

"I don't know where they are going to take you. But, that's the best option. You need to find a way to make that work." I breathe a sigh of relief, leaning my head against the wall. 

I can hide the bracelet there. I must. I need to find a way. 

"Someone's coming." Kellie says, getting up. Silence fills the room. It's then I hear footsteps outside of the door getting closer and closer. The tell-tale of locks being picked is heard, and I step back. The door is pulled open and four men step inside.