Chapter 1 - Durango, Colorado

My outcomes are tidy, and on point. One of things I possess physically, and mentally. For the first time in many years, I genuinely smile at my work. I worked for hours trying to organize my new apartment. I left nothing spared, going from the kitchen, to the bedroom, to the bathroom in all the right orders.

It's exactly what I wanted, and exactly what I deserved. Pulling myself out of my old shoes was hard. I couldn't transition right away, even after my mother's death. But, I pulled myself together and moved out. New Jersey was my first state of hometown. Now I left that behind for good, and came here in Durango, Colorado. I left nothing behind but my old habits, and memories. If my mother were alive, she'd never let me do this. In fact, she would lock me up in her dungeon, and throw away the key for good.

But old memories are old. Colorado was already being beautiful to me. My new apartment condo rested by the Animas River, and near the heart of San Juan Mountains, which gave me plenty of view to wake up too. A bit colder, and snowier than New Jersey, but who was complaining? I was starting new and new meant rebuilding myself and creating a whole new image.

I made myself an afternoon tea before sitting down next to my bedroom window. Sipping slowly, I glanced at the house next to mine. Only few feet away, there was one particular house that caught my attention. It was much bigger than mine and the only standing house next to mine. The other couple houses gave an extra space to us. Odd, but oddly satisfying to know that this area wasn't much crowded but with only couple of condos here and there. Seemed like no one was home. It would be nice to properly introduce myself to the neighbor, but looks like that could just wait.

Tomorrow was a big day for me. I was officially enlisted in one of the best colleges in Colorado. I was more proud of myself than ever because this time I had the courage to do so. Mother never wanted me to go to public schools, and had me home schooled ever since I can remember. Because of her I made no friends, had to outer experience, and didn't even get a chance to experience prom. The only thing that most kids my age looked forward to.

If mother was alive, she'd never let me do this. I'd still be miserable and that too for the rest of my life. I had no knowledge of the outside world because of her. She used to think, and think hard that is.

"The world isn't so nice," she would say. I'd hear that on numerous occasions. After a while I had grown accustomed to that. Now...now I was cracking out of my shell and didn't know where to begin. I had no one to guide me on where to go. But, I guess I will learn tomorrow on my first day of public school.

The distinct light across from me catches my attention, and I still. The window's curtain rattles a little and a dark shadow hovers through it. Taking a closer look to it, I realize that it's a man. I never even noticed when my neighbor's red Mustang pulled up, but judging my the look of it...

...my neighbor sure had money.

I cut my lights out, and climb into my bed. So far everything was perfect. I was starting to see my own little world now here in Colorado. The peace and silence it brought me was my very own absolute resolution.

I can only imagine what tomorrow brings me.

I smile because I have no idea. And the idea of not knowing for the first time is satisfying. I like unpredictability because I lived my whole life in predictability. My mother made sure of that. Everything was calculated. Now? Nothing is certain on what to come. I have new pages to fill now as I go on ripping the old ones into the trash can.

Mother would never accept me like this. But tonight I can sleep knowing my mother isn't here to take me away from my well-earned freedom.

-----------------------------