Chapter 29 - When Truth is Revealed

The loud crackle of thunder outside of the shed startles us. Caro and I exchange glances that speak of nothing but concern. The more it rains out there the longer we are stuck here. And the longer we are stuck here the more unnerving it gets.

"There was an underground tunnel. We were exiled there," Aria says, sadly.

"His drugs were distributed there, and from there...to somewhere else. Mexico favored Salvatore so much that they wouldn't utter a single word to anyone that came from the outside. When money talked, everyone remained idle and secretive. Even children. We were treated really poorly there."

"Jesus," Caro mutters under her breath.

"Where were you being transported to?" Susan looks at me and I see the terror in her eyes.

"Yemen."

"Yemen? As a country in the Middle East?" Caro chips in, shock perplexed on her face.

"He's powerful," Susan says, sadly, nervously. Mexico to Yemen. Could it get any worse for them?

"So you've seen Salvatore?" I ask, without looking at them. I cannot look at them anymore.

"Only once," Aria answers.

"He's everywhere but nowhere near us. They only communicate via certain people. But I saw him one time. In all the years of our captivity, he came to see me first," Susan says, the last part too quietly.

"What did he say?" Caro asks. Susan goes quiet for a minute. The silence in the shed for a minute drives me insane so I finally catch a glimpse of her. She's looking at me.

"He told me what he was going to do with...Klaus' parents. And...and he mentioned mine." Her voice is strained as if she's fighting tears but a lonesome drop of moisture slips past her cheeks and to her palm. She looks down. All of this messes with my mind so I remain quiet. Caro acknowledges that so she takes over for me. Susan puts her attention back to her now soggy cereal. Taking a spoonful, she forces it into her mouth and chews slowly without looking up.

They are running from actuality because they are still stuck in the presence of evil doings. Why would Salvatore do this? The mention of him, the thought of him brings a pungent taste in my mouth. Aria yawns and Caro pulls her closer to her for comfort. We've all lost track of time. Within seconds Aria's eyes close and Caro joins her in a mutual bonding.

"Susan?" I whisper. An eerie discomfort gnaws at me, pulling me in all sorts of directions that lead to more discomfort.

"Yes?"

"I want to know something." I look everywhere but at her for a starter until I give up and just look at her. Her expression is blank, void of emotions for a good second before she tilts her head.

"Did he ever mention his family? He has a daughter he is looking for. Do you know about this daughter?" Susan crosses her legs and leans her back against the wall. She looks at the ceiling. I don't want to push her into telling me anything and I even lean forward to apologize before her eyes meet mine. I sit back.

"He mentioned he never saw his daughter. But he's looking for her." She fights to tell me everything but I can see it in her eyes, the terror.

"And his wife?"

"He killed her," she says, all too quickly. Her words create a havoc in me, pushing past my built up walls internally. I lean my head against the wall, sigh, and put an end to my curiosity. As soon as the rain stops, I will hand these girls over to Klaus. I close my eyes and impatiently wait for the rain to slow down or pass. I don't know how long I can take being in this shed.