Chapter 28 - Caro, What The Hell?

"Shit! I almost broke the door." The familiar voice hits my brain maybe ten seconds later after my frozen body starts to thaw for a reaction. My heart is hammering against my chest, almost ready to burst out like a popper. My breathing is hectic and as if I ran a mile nonstop. I close my eyes and count to ten silently in my head to bring myself back to a normal rhythm.

"Caro!" I stand and briskly walk over to her with a hand against my chest. I bare a confusion on my face for her to see just how freaked, and confused I really am. She chuckles nervously and its then I realize my white bags in her hands. I swallow and realize my mouth has gone dry. 

"How did you find me here?" I ask, grabbing my bags from her before diving in and pulling out a water bottle. I uncap it and chug the whole thing within seconds. I didn't realize I was so thirsty. 

"Well, you weren't picking up your phone and I wanted to make sure you got home safe. I passed by and saw these bags and remembered that you told me you were grocery shopping. Curiosity got the best of me and led me to you. I didn't realize you were going to be here, though. What's going on?" She looks past me and at the girls who are now hovering in the corner with a startled expression on their face. At least they aren't screaming or crying. I smile at her.

"These are the girls they are looking for out there," I mumble, pulling her in before sitting down on the floor. Caro slides to the floor with me. 

"What do you mean they?"

"The bad guys out there, the cops...Klaus," I clarify. She stares at me for a couple of long seconds before it registers in her brain. Her eyes wide, her mouth agape, she looks at the girls.

"You two? The whole damn world is looking for you girls. But, what are they doing here? They should be out there with Klaus, protected," Caro says, rather to me. 

"They're afraid to be out there. They said that there are some bad cops out there that work with Salvatore."

"What? Does Klaus know?"

"No. I mean I don't exactly have a way to tell them. And Susan and Aria won't let me." In unison, we both look back at them. They seemed to have relaxed but are still sitting on the edge of the knife." The whole world is out there looking for them but at the same time, there are people are there wanting them either dead or found--just to be killed. But I know Klaus and he will protect them. I just need to find a way to tell them without these girls knowing. They need someone to trust. I sadly smile at them before bringing the white bags closer to me. 

"Hungry?" I ask Aria. She looks at me, and the bags but doesn't say anything. Her silence says everything, though. Susan's stomach growls in response and I idly wonder how long it has been since they've eaten. My food isn't my food anymore and the least I can do is help them. I pull out a box of cereal, plastic bowls I picked up, plastic spoons, and a carton of milk. It's not much but it will do to bring them somewhat a good amount of energy. 

"Lucky charms?" Aria whispers, eyes widen. I smile. I pour them both a handful before handing both the bowls. They take it and immediately dive in. Caro and I watch in awe.

"How did you find them?" she whispers into my ear, breaking my trance. 

"I heard them in the woods crying before I saw them. They were running from someone. I brought them here for safety."

"You should text Klaus about this. He might want to know. They're out there madly looking for them and if they are here and then their actions out there are fruitless." 

"I know. I want to but I need to take precautions first. Just hold on a second."

"How did you two get here?" Caro says, out loud for the girls to hear. Spoons stop in midair. Jump the gun, now, why don't you, Caro? I narrow my eyes at her and she shrugs, apologetically. I was somewhat expecting them not to answer Caro but Susan surprises me when she puts her bowl down. She wipes her mouth with the back of her hand.