Chapter 27 - Startling Surprise

I felt the first drop of rain on my lips before I saw it. The sky above me were bright grey, illuminating the world with a shadowy light, even despite being the middle of the night. It was now a little over 10pm. Normally, I wouldn't do this. It's stupid to walk out in the middle of the night when the world grew silent at this time. The good ones sleep at night, the bad ones lurk outside waiting for a prey. I pushed all my discomfort aside just for this and I hoped to God it was worth it.

Normally, I'd ignore my rumbling stomach. Going to sleep on an empty stomach and waiting for the next morning is always an option but for some reason I couldn't ignore that tonight. My fridge was empty with nothing but half a carton of milk and some leftover fruits from last week. I don't remember the last time I went grocery shopping because I spent the remaining of those days at Klaus', eating up all his food that he so gracefully allowed me to have. But unfortunately he wasn't home and the idea of breaking into his place to get some food didn't sit right with me. God knows what that would bring on me considering he stamped me with a, "privacy invader" sticker on my forehead. So, here I am walking down the street with nothing but the illuminating light from the bright, grey sky, accompanying me. Small town, rains a lot, but not a single soul to go past 8pm. It's as if they all have a curfew. Strange town, but a beautiful one.

All I need is bread, some more fruits, cereal, and maybe some microwaveable foods I can find until tomorrow. This should give me some energy to stay alive until the next morning. I was glad for the little shops that stayed open even at the latest of time. It benefited me if anyone else. Just as I was walking past the 4th street of the silent town, my phone rang, startling me over the silence looming around me. I pick it up immediately, somewhat happy for another company to keep my sanity at bay as I absolutely cannot stand eerie silence.

"What are you doing, babygirl?" A familiar voice asks, her voice chirpy. I chuckle.

"Walking. Trying to get to the grocery store before it pours down raining."

"Why are you walking to the grocery story at this time? Don't you know it's dangerous for a woman like you alone on the streets?" She scolds. I roll my eyes. My car broke down—again. Not that it ever worked right on me. I never relied on it anyways. It's such a untrustworthy car and I don't have the funds to buy another one. Walking always seems like a grand option for me even though I despise it sometimes.

"I'd like for someone to pop up on me. I mean...that would somewhat give me a relief seeing as there is not a single soul out here. It's not even that late and everyone is hidden behind the doors of their home. Looks to me like a zombie town out here," I mumble, looking around.

"All you are going to see tonight are red, and blue lights flashing through the night." And as in cue, a car with flashing lights zoom past the street couple of blocks from me.

"Why?"

"Haven't you heard?"

"Heard what?" I reach the shop and immediately sigh in relief when I come across people shopping with their carts to themselves. I was really beginning to think there was something wrong with this town. I bring the cart to me, roll it forward, and go straight to the cereal isle.

"There is a strict patrolling going on tonight. Locals are told to keep inside for the remaining of the night until tomorrow. They have some sort of lead that they're trying to get to but they can't do it with civilians roaming around. The clubs, and bars are sealed off tonight too," Caro explains. I drop Coco Puffs, and Lucky Charms in my cart before walking off to another essential isle. Whole milk or 2%? I think I want to switch it up tonight so I drop the 2% into my cart.

"That's odd. What for?" What kind of bread should I get?

"Who knows." I can sense her shrugging over the phone. When I get to the bread isle, I drop the first thing I see into the cart. Should I stick with Strawberries, or be bold and get Kiwis—something I have yet to try.