Chapter 5 - Neighbor Collide

Klaus Benton glances over his shoulders as I swallow a dry lump down my throat. How about a better first impression? I close my eyes and think of all the things I've read over the last few years in my lonely tower.

"What's it about you so much that makes this night even darker?" I start with a smile. He turns around, his lips lifting crookedly. I take a step towards him.

"Oh I know. Because there's a strange man in my house, lingering in my eyes." He steps closer.

"That look in his eyes. It's deadly. It makes the crows on his shoulders quite, and the night...quieter." His eyes darken as if I've encountered something about him. I swallow.

"He's looking at me, those eyes full of promises. He challenges me to a night full of games. If I said no, that would be full of lies."  He stills, no movement coming from his part. I swallow again. What in the world am I doing?

"He makes the world think he's kind, gentle, and humble. But, beneath those eyes hides the lies. Is he kind, is he gentle, is he humble? Will I ever know?" I let out a silent sigh as he tilts his head to the side, observing me.

"He's a masked devil. He knows how to rattle the strings. His charming smile is addicting. Like poison, he brings me to my knees. The fire from his body douses me in flames. It's the burn I witness. But, the aftermath I feel. Has a devil ever met his match? The women who stands before him. Looks like...it's her time to show," I finish. The room grows extra silent, and the only noise coming from anywhere is the soft ticking of my clock against the kitchen wall. And heartbeat. My heartbeat into my ears. A small tick of his jaw catches my attention. Then he predatorily smiles as if he caught the gift to his bait.

"You wrote this yourself?" He questions, leaning in further. The proximity of him by me brings a strange fogginess to my brain. I forget momentarily how to breathe, blink, or look away. Then I nervously laugh because that's all I can do.

"I had a lot of free time in my hand. I suppose poetry came in mind first." The proximity feels good so I don't make a move. I can feel his icy mint breath fan my face. Like electricity surging through me, I jump a little as his hand connects with my shoulder. He chuckles.

"You look a bit tensed."

"Tensed? I'm not tensed. I don't know what you're talking about," I rambled on. He quizzes me a little before smiling.

"I'll see you in class tomorrow, Maya." He moves before I can blink and the emptiness I suddenly feel makes me frown. He's leaving? Oh. Right. I open my mouth but nothing comes out. He glances behind his shoulder after opening the door.

"Are you as good in Anatomy as you are in English?" He asks. I bite my lip. Anatomy? I never read non-fiction books like that nor had I ever put my effort into reading educational books.

"I'm afraid not. But, how hard can it be?" I whisper. Without saying another word, he slips out of my house. My own house, my own personal space, my own precious safe house suddenly felt empty the moment he slipped out. It's like he took all my energy with him. I feel empty as if I suddenly don't belong here. I shake my head in disbelief. If not love, I at least believe in something at first sight. I think this is what that is. Whatever the hell it is.

FOUR HOURS LATER, I wind down. I put all my energy into working out at my little personal gym in the other room. It's a great way to start at something when I have absolutely have nothing to look forward to. With a smile on my face I jump into the shower and wash away all the remnants of sweat and stress away. Stepping out in just a white towel around me like a burrito, I pick up my phone. For texts but then my phone chimes in cue. I glance at the screen. Cara is calling me? Right. I forgot I had gave her my number. I don't even get to say hi before she shrieks behind the line.

"Guess what!" She chimes.

"What?" It's like we're best friends already. How long as it been? One day? Two tomorrow.

"This weekend, we are heading out to the club downtown for Jason's birthday. And you're coming. No excuses. Because I need a wise women to be by my side while I get drunk and honestly I have no friends that are smart like you. Plus, I like you and—"

"Cara. Slow down," I laugh. I picked up some of the things from her rambling.

"So, you coming?" She asks. I can see her practically bouncing like a little child.

"Yo, you better come. I think I like you. The more people the better. Oh, by the way. Save my number." Wait. Three way call?

"Jason?"

"Yeah. That's me, baby." Of course. I roll my eyes.

"Alright. I'll come. Where are we going?" I ask.

"Club Phoenix. Downtown. Good. I need a sober, innocent friend to handle me," Cara laughs. I scowl. So it's a babysitting gig? Who says I won't drink? I may be innocent but I'm not a party pooper. Mind I say, I'm offended. But I laugh it away.

"Club Phoenix. Okay. But who says I'm not drinking? "
"Oh! Alright, bet! It's on!" She sings. Once again I roll my eyes.

"Yoh, like we can be good friends! We all have class tomorrow together, right?" Jackson on the other line speaks. I get up, and laugh. Good friends? I think I can dig that. I turn to the window to open up slightly.

"You guys are funny—" I shriek, jumping a little as the phone nearly slips out of my hand. I gasp and my butt falls back down on the bed.

"You okay?" Cara asks, concerned.

"Huh? Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. Can I call you guys later?" I don't wait for an answer as I hang up. Am I hallucinating? I look closer.

A big ring of smoke flutters through the air, and through the smoke holds the main source. He pulls the cigarette out of his mouth, and with both of his hands against the railing of his balcony, he leans over slightly. Our eyes connect, dark Hazel to luscious chocolate brown.

He pulls in another hit before letting it fly out of his mouth. I smell it before I see it. He tilts his head to the side, amused at my lack of state. I'm looking at him as if I seen a ghost. I'm unaware of that but then I turn around, the momentum causing me to collide back against my headrest, head post of the bed.

Bloody hell.

Professor, Klaus Benton.

---------------
;)

https://s-media-cache-ak0

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fc/14/02/fc14026601a7c4c97c14e46ea8cde01b.gif