Chapter 42 - I Will Get Her Back

Deafening silence. Suffocating darkness. I'm thrashed-- completely and utterly thrashed in situations I no longer have control over. I'm suffocating now. And I am suffocating everyone around me. Klaus sits on my bed with his head bowed. His hand holds the gun lose, probably deciding what to do with it. But he can't even kill me even if he wanted to. The game plan has changed. The whole system has been changed.

Kayla Benton, his only known family member, is kidnapped and it's all because of me. The more I hide, the more everyone gets hurt and I no longer feel like my own safety matters anymore. What do I do here? How do I fix this? Can I fix this? What is my cost here? At one point I'm bound in chains from my mother's promise and on the other side...my relationship is breaking apart and everyone around me is getting hurt. At what cost? A stupid fortune I've inherited from my dead family?

"I've never wanted any of this," I speak out loud. Klaus lifts his head to look at me. I take a step towards him and then realizing that it's not going to make any difference whatsoever, I take a step back.

"I never wanted the fortune. The money, the houses, the companies, the factories--whatever, I never wanted it. I'm fine with working for myself. I'm fine with having absolutely nothing in my name. I mean who needs it all, right? My family is dead. My mother is dead so what good is it to keep this promise?" I chuckle.

Klaus sits up straight, figuring out my outburst.

"Let's just end this once and for all. Make a deal. An eye for an eye. You get your cousin back and he gets me. No one else needs to get hurt anymore it's that simple. We can end--" I stop talking when Klaus stands before me.

"Maya," he whispers.

"Plan B. There's always a plan B and I am the plan B. Use it. Call him up and say you have me and that you want to make a deal. You get your cousin back in exchange for me." I fight the tears, I really do but my eyes start to sting and I have to turn around before he can see one escaping from my eyes. I quickly wipe it away.

"Look at me," he orders. But I don't look at him. I know he won't agree to anything I say because him and I both know the risks here but I am tired of hiding and I am tired of him getting hurt because of me. So I resort to what I do and know best.

I run.

Klaus calls out to me but I don't stop because I know there is no stopping me. You can always break a circle in half to stop it from repeating. And I do not want to repeat history anymore. There are men outside already waiting for Klaus to give orders. I go towards the ones I know best. There are sirens and police cars and people everywhere and my God my nerves go on the edge. I'm doing this, I'm finally doing this.

I catch Tyler first as I fall into his arms. Klaus catches up to me, angry and frustrated. But the plan... I have to talk about the plan before it gets overridden.

"You...you call him and you tell him that...you have me. And that you're ready to give me to him in exchange for Kayla and then you...the team---" Klaus grabs my arm and yanks me until I'm facing him. By now he's seen my silently cry as my tears let go. I don't want him figuring me out I just want him to understand me.

"Stop this now," he growls.

"You can rescue me. Just come rescue me with your team. This is the only way to get your Kayla back. We can do this."

"There is another way!" He yells and his outburst pushes everyone back a step. Tyler and Junebug step forward.

"Klaus, just hear her out for a second," Junebug says. Neither Klaus nor I break eye contact as we stare each other down. My eyes plead him to just listen to me for once and his eyes threaten me to stay put and not say anything towards this. I ignore Klaus and turn towards Tyler and Junebug. Both seem to have their eyes and ears open to me.