Chapter 44- First Encounter

This wasn't supposed to happen. This wasn't part of the plan. I was supposed to be taken to Salvatore and there was supposed to be a peace made. Kayla was supposed to be given to the cops in exchange for me. What is happening here?

"Whatever you're doing is bullshit. This isn't fair," I say, even though I'm told not to speak. I have been in this car for hours now with my hands tied behind my back. I actually want to cry right now because I know what this means. This was a setup. 

"Sorry, sweetheart. Plans are changed. We take you safely to your father and we are done. And I thought I told you not to speak?" The man in front of me says, leaning forward to get a closer look at me. 

"Where is Kayla? What did you guys do to her?" I ask, my eyes stinging from unshed tears. I know they are bloodshot red. I can feel it. Because I need to feel something other than anger for what I'm about to hear. The man says nothing and I try, I try my hardest not to ring out profanities to him. 

"You people are disgusting. And I hope when you all die you go straight to hell and rot there for an eternity," I spit, looking dead straight into his eyes. It takes a couple of seconds for me to express myself but only two seconds for him to react in a way I didn't expect. He backhands me roughly and I fall sideways from the force. I see stars for a moment before I shake my head to get back into consciousness. I didn't want to lose consciousness, not here and not with these people. A migraine forms and my head throbs from the force. 

"Hey, we were told not to touch her. Not yet!" The driver speaks. 

"By who? My father?" I chuckle. I can feel my lips throb from the slap and it hurts so bad I almost want to touch it to inspect the damage but I can't. I sit back quietly and think about this scenario in my head. This is bad, really but...to think about it I could make this work. This could all work out in my favor. I have trackers all around me and inside me. Even if they take my phone away, there are two trackers on me that they won't even suspect. If I play this smartly I can win, survive, take Kayla with me and get out of the mess these people are putting me in. And this all can lead to the police finally catching Salvatore. 

I need to play my cards right. I need to survive. 

"What? No snarky remarks? Nothing else to say?" The guy challenges. I look at him, really look at him but don't say anything. This isn't the time to get hit again or mess things up. I need to get to Salvatore. Maybe getting double-crossed could be a good thing. I know Klaus is tracking me and I know he won't let me get hurt. I know he will come for me. 

But this ride...this ride is long. And there's a nagging feeling inside me that something is not right and there something is going to go wrong here. I don't know where we are and where we are going but I have a feeling I'm somewhere far far away. The glasses are tinted on the windows and I don't know how these people are not being chased or pulled from the tinted windows or anything.

"We need to stop and switch the license plate. Now." The driver speaks. And that right there answers my unspoken question. These people are full of shit and have no remorse or fear whatsoever of what will happen to them once they get caught. 

"All of this for money. Wow," I finally say, breaking my silence. 

"Money is what keeps the world running," the man in front of me chuckles. The car comes to a stop and it's now that I realize these people have two more cars following them to wherever the hell they are going. It's not Klaus' men. It's Salvatore's men. They had this all figured out. I run my fingers across the bracelet from behind me and lean my head back. I need to get to Kayla and somehow get her to escape or all of this will be for nothing. I turn my head to look out the window but I come back fruitless. I can't see anything and I'm sure they can't see me inside. They're busy changing out the license plates in an isolated place. I sigh. If only I had access to my phone. That was one of the third lucky charms I had but unfortunately, it went out the window. Now I'm left with two. And two is nothing.