Chapter 30 - Page One

Dear sweetest daughter,
You have a father. You asked me this but I couldn't give you a proper answer. But I can write it down here. Sweetest daughter, you're nine years old. You are starting to understand. You have questions that need to be answered. But I cannot tell you about him. It's best if you don't know anything. I can hear you crying in your room. I've locked you up. But I'm not here to hurt you. I'm not here to taunt you. I don't get off on your pain, your tears. You may have questions but I know you emotions triggering you far worst than anything. You hate me. I can feel it. And you've said it.
There's a reason you can't go to public schools. There's a reason you are not aloud to have friends. Sweet child, you may hate me for the rest of your life because of that and I will allow it. But I won't break on you. I will not allow you to suffer because of me. A mother always wants what's best for their child. You are my child, my everything. I will have to suffer watching you cry. I will have to suffer you hating me. You may not know this but I hurt every time I hurt you. I cry harder than you do behind closed doors. But you are safe and that's all it matters.

I've never answered any of your questions. I never bothered to. I never wanted to. The less you knew the better. But today I'm going to write down my biggest fears and my mistakes. One day, not now, but one day you will read this. And one day all your questions will be answered. But that day...

....I won't be here to answer to you.

Turn the page, sweet daughter. Let me tell you about a gravest mistake I made fifteen years ago that still haunts me to this day. I'm not a bad mother. I never was. I'm not here to hurt you. I'm here to protect you from the evil. And the evil awaits for you on the next page.

Perspiration doused me. Tears blurred my vision. My heart ached and my throat tightened. My fingers trembled as I struggled to hold the dairy right. Couple drops that are the product of my aching soul and heart fell on the page, softening the hard paper. Slowly, with trembling fingers, I turn the page.
—————————

You've turned the page, my brave little daughter. But are you brave enough to hear the truth? The truth hurts far worst than a lie I've showered you all your life. I need to you to know the truth. And this bitter truth awaits you. This truth is here to answer your questions. I'm hoping it makes you hate me a lot less. I'm hoping it makes you look at me a little differently.

Fifteen years ago, I made a mistake. I fell in love. Blindly in love at first sight, nothing seems wrong and everything seems right. That's because the person in front of you puts that illusion over you. Everything seems flowery, glittery, and sparkly. Everything wrong feels so...right. The irrational feels rational. That's what love does to you. At least that's what was put in my head. He was perfect. He kissed me under the moonlight, he took me out to dinners, he brought me gifts, he showered me with love, and he was always a gentleman around me.

This prolonged for a good year. A good year until I realized that there was another man hidden inside of him. Here's the thing. The way we are living right now? Under raw poverty? That wasn't always the case. I was rich at one point of time. Very rich. My father was an industrialist and my mother was a businesswomen. We lived lavishly that was inherited by my grandfather. My grandfather owned properties all around the world and the materialistic things and money he owned was inherited by his father and so forth. Came to find out we inherited a diamond alley from my great great great grandfather. One diamond alleys were scattered all around the world. One in India, one in New York, one in London, one in Ethiopia, and one in Bangladesh. These diamond alleys were underground that were taken cared by trusted folks that my family hired.

This was a legacy. Day by day we got richer. I was aware of this but had no interest in the riches. I let my family control it. And when I found somebody, somebody I thought I'd end up with and get married to, I made my second mistake. I told him about my family's wealth and legacy. I told him about the places where the diamonds were hidden. I told him about my grandfather's will.

Two years into our relationship, I witnessed a robbery. I witnessed kidnapping. One kidnapping turned into another. And another. Until I finally witnessed worst—a murder. On a daily bases, I had to watch this. I had to witness this. And that's because I didn't know what I had thrown myself into. Blindly in love I believed I had finally achieved a fairytale. But the fairytale quickly turned sour, burning into ashes right before my eyes before it even formed. And all it was my fault. I did this to myself. I did this to my family. I did this...to us.

He was no ordinary man. I was under the impression that he was because that's how he wanted to portray himself to be. For two years I was kept in the blind because that's how he wanted. His family that were introduced to me were fake. His profile...fake. His chivalry? A pretense. After meeting him I made mistakes after mistakes unknowingly. I moved out of my house and into his thinking maybe he'd change. He'd stop whatever he was doing and accepted me for a person I truly was.

But I realized differently. I was a pawn in his game I had entered unknowingly. I was neither allowed to move out nor go anywhere. I was trapped, abused, and tortured by a man I fell for. I let go of everything just for him and in return...he punished me. As days went by, I witnessed more and the truth slowly but surely resurfaced around me. He told me he was a businessman, a general manager in a bank he was working for.

He was a tycoon in the wrong kind of industry—where nothing legal happened. Kidnappings, extortion, black money business, murders were some of his main works he handled to get what he wanted. He wanted power and he was in control of it until one day...he became wealthier, more powerful, and city's worst fear. He became a title he wanted to possess. He pushed fear into people including my family. He used me as a leverage to get what he wanted.

And he got exactly what he wanted. Months into his captivity turned into a whole year. Torture and abuse never ceased to stop. And I was trapped. I had no help but because he had more help than my family. Wealth didn't protect my family or me. But fear, immense power, money, and promised threats protected him. He had more people under his wings than my family ever did.

Wealth is a powerful source of luxury. It's a guidance for a better living because it can get you anything in the world. Anything you need. My family were the wealthiest in every nation they kept businesses in. They had power. But the power quickly turned against them the moment he grew more powerful. Lawyers turned on us. Police officers refused to help. The judge became our enemy. The people turned their heads on us. The power of money we held no longer spoke to us. It turned the tables on us and spoke to him. The legacy my father built, the inheritance my ancestors passed on slowly began to crumble down on us. And the will....the will was our befalling.

He became my worst nightmare. And it grew stronger the moment he found out about my grandfather's will.

I turned the page quickly, my chest tightening. Warm, salty tears slipped into my parted mouth. My soul ached the longer I read but I continued.