CHAPTER [ 6 9 ]

The night felt as if it had been going on forever. Robyn's heart sank in anger and despair. Her life up until that point was almost all a lie.

"You were a month old when it happened," Laila continued, "I had made a promise to Leanne to keep all of this from you, Robyn, it was her last wish."

There was a pause.

"Since you're turning eighteen tonight, I was going to tell all of this to you anyway."

Laila engulfed her in a hug.

Robyn took comfort in it and wiped the last of her tears. She finally pulled away and choked out, "thank you." She wanted to say more, she wanted to tell her how much it meant to her and how grateful she was of her. She wanted to ask about her real mother, and father. But the words dissolved on her tongue.

Ray slid an arm around her shoulder. Robyn looked at him and found her footing. She swallowed down the urge to cry.

"They're still looking for you," Ray said in a low voice, his eyes filled with concern. "It's still not safe."

"Which is why I came here tonight," said Andrew, "I need to speak to you, Laila. Or rather, I have a request."

He waited a moment to collect his thoughts then said, "I don't know how much you're aware of our kind... But put simply, Robyn is my son's mate."

Laila was quiet.

The silent seemed to stretch on longer than a few seconds. Panic rose in Robyn's chest. Werewolves had killed her parents. Werewolves were what Laila had been protecting her from for all these years. Would Laila separate her from Ray, now that she knows his true nature?

"He's really good, Mum," Robyn blurted. "Sure he makes mistakes, but he has always looked after me, he has saved my life," she made sure Laila was looking her in the eyes when she said, "he has never deliberately hurt me, or tried to take advantage of what I am. Even though he knew."

Laila looked at Ray, thinking it over in her mind.

"Well," she finally said, eyes glazing over for a fleeting moment, "I know not all of you are the same."

Robyn's shoulder moved as Ray exhaled a long-held breath. She took his hand and squeezed it.

"With the way things are right now," Andrew spoke again, "Robyn's safety is in great danger. I understand you have the ability to know when a werewolf enters your premises, but..." his mouth opened and closed a few times, finding the right words, "but can you fight off more than one of us? Can you take on five or ten or more?"

Laila glanced down at her bracelet. Leanne and Jasper combined couldn't win against just three of them.

"So what do you suggest?" she asked.

"I can prepare a room for Robyn at our pack house," Andrew proposed, "she can stay safe with us until after the war."

Laila was silent again.

Andrew sat up straight, "I have an army of wolves ready to fight. There is also myself and of course, Ray. We're all here to protect Robyn just as we would protect our own kind.

"I know it must be hard for you to trust werewolves," Andrew said, "but if nothing else then at least believe me when I say this: Robyn is part of our family, our pack. We don't want to use her for anything. But I can't say the same for our enemies. Laila, we have to protect Robyn from them. If they catch a hold of her then—" Andrew shook his head, "then it will be bad for all of us. Witches, werewolves, even humans. And especially bad for Robyn."

Tears slid down Laila's cheeks. She wiped them with the tips of her fingers. Robyn wound an arm around her and hugged her.

"It's something worth thinking over," Andrew concluded, coming to a stand. "It's short notice, but we're pinched on time. Please let me know what you've decided by tomorrow morning."