CHAPTER [ 3 7 ]

It burned, from the inside. Stinging every single cell in his body, every muscle, every vein. It was agonising pain that Ray couldn't help but endure. His expression contorted to match how he left, ready to burst from the heat.

Metal clanked against metal. The pack physician, Will, watched in horror as the blood on the first bullet sizzled into thin air. A third of the bullet was already dissolved, probably had worked into his system by now.

"Is--is it… over?" Ray's voice was hoarse. Every breath he took was a gamble.

"There's one more left," the physician said, picking a new set of tweezers.

A groan vibrated through the air, Ray unable to silence the pain any longer. He was strong, his body a magnificent work of art. It was resilient and unyielding. It didn't bow down to anything, except for this one thing--silver.

With silver in his system, he had become sluggish, unable to recuperate at his usual pace. His teeth threatened to shatter by the sheer force of his jaws grinding. Painkillers and anaesthetics had no effect on him. He had to try his best to ignore the prodding of the tweezers in his side where the second bullet was lodged and slowly disintegrating. Ray stopped breathing to help him stay still but more so to lessen the pain.

He relaxed, releasing a shaky breath as the physician pulled out the other bullet.

The pain hadn't eased, but it had stopped growing. A droplet of sweat trickled down his temple, disappearing into his glorious, platinum hair. Ray unclenched his fists, his bones aching. His eyes split open a centimetre. Just then, the door swung in.

"Will! Please--my son--he'll…" the deranged lady stopped short after seeing Ray. Through the tears in her eyes and quivering of her lips, Ray understood the tragedy she had to face that night. She held back a sob, then turned and quickly left.

Ray relaxed his neck muscles. He spent a moment levelling his breath, his eyes closing from exhaustion.

"You have other… casualties to treat," Ray gasped, "thank you--Will." The fire rose again, deep in his belly and Ray mentally prepared himself for another round of agonising pain.

Will said something which Ray couldn't comprehend. All he heard was hot blood rushing in his ears. Will walked to the door. If he were in his wolf form, it would have been a wolf with his ears flat on the head and tail between its legs.

Ray's eyes open a crack to see Will looking back at him from the door. His lips moved for a couple of seconds, but Ray didn't catch any of it. Small, white specks began concentrating his vision. He shut his eyes again, but they didn't go. Ray didn't resist when a thick cloud came over his consciousness and pulled him into deep slumber.

 Ray didn't resist when a thick cloud came over his consciousness and pulled him into deep slumber

Andrew sat with his head in his hands. He should have provided better safety, better leadership, he should have anticipated it. His arms pulled into his body more, his fingers interlacing on the crown of his head.