CHAPTER [ 2 2 ]

Normally Robyn spent her Sunday mornings painting. She had a whole set of her paintings, framed and collecting dust in the attic. There was nowhere else to keep them, but she couldn't stop creating artwork, it was in her blood, her purpose, her calling. Painting was like meditation to her; it eased her thoughts and brought calm to her mind. But that Sunday was different. The brush strokes were too forced, too calculated, the colours didn't blend well together, just something wasn't right.

Every time Robyn looked at the canvas, she saw her hands, her fingers, her nails, and she wondered if she could sprout claws if she concentrated enough. Or she would catch her reflection in the mirror and wonder how she would look with fur and fangs or a snout.

The idea scared her a little, because she had grown up as a human, and she couldn't imagine herself as anything other than that. But it was a possibility that she was something else. Why else would someone want to kill her? Even if the 'someone' was a human... She thought of Shane. Could he be a werewolf, too? No, Ray would have known if he was.

Robyn kept the brush back on the pallet; it spun and fell on the table, smearing blue paint. She held her hands up in front of her; the same paint was dotted around the edge of her palm and sides of her fingers. But she was looking past that, deep in thought. Just then, her phone buzzed.

She broke out of her thoughts, looking down at her phone screen. A new text message waited for her. Reaching down she unlocked her phone and opened it, realising it was from Rick.

'Hey Robyn, I just heard some news from our team. Seems like Mel won't be able to help us with the baking and parents evening. Just thought of giving you a heads up for tomorrow's meeting' it read. Robyn closed her eyes and threw her head back, clearly disappointed.

The school was supporting a children's charity and Ms. Sharpe decided parents evening would be the perfect opportunity to collect money. In their meeting on Friday, Mel volunteered to bake cupcakes they could sell during the day and evening to gather money for the charity. Robyn looked back at her phone screen, then typed 'thanks Rick, I'll think about what we can do until then' she tapped the send icon and kept her phone back down.

Fifteen seconds later she received another message, 'I know you'll think of something great' he replied. Robyn was about to text back when her phone screen blanked and showed an incoming call from Kate. She answered it.

"Hey girl!" Kate sounded cheerful for someone who was wasted the night before.

Robyn couldn't help but smile. She had Dom to take care of her so she didn't expect anything else. "Hi Kate, how are you feeling?"

"Eh, better than last night," she heard a ruffle through the line before Kate spoke again, "you want to meet for lunch today?"

Robyn looked at the clock in her room. There was still an hour to noon. "Sure."

They decided on a time and place then hung up. Maybe that was all she needed to clear her mind. The thought of seeing her friend and talking to her, even though she couldn't share everything, made her feel lighter. She picked her brush again, and did what she did best.