CHAPTER [8 2 ]

Robyn felt exhausted like never before. Every cell in her body ached all at once, rendering her arms and legs useless. She fell to a heap on the ground, gulping air into her lungs. Across from her Daiyu looked the same as she felt, hunched on the ground and breathless. Did it work? There was only one way to find out.

As if reading her mind Daiyu looked at Robyn, 'come. Let's see how they're doing.'

From the way she spoke Robyn felt a little confident that their spell had worked. She stood on wobbly legs, a bubble of excitement rising in her chest at the prospect of seeing Ray for the first time that night. Was he okay? Had Andrew managed to stall them? Question after question popped up in her mind and swarmed like bees. She realised all at once that the single most important thing in her life right then was to see Ray. She needed to see him more than she needed to breathe, more than her body needed to rest and recuperate after pushing itself to the limits. Robyn kicked up dirt as she ran, like a deer through the woods, closing the distance between her and the man she loved.

She finally reached the clearing and immediately halted. Her hair flung over her shoulders from the impact of it. A dense crowd of people had gathered, murmuring, speaking in hushed tones. Her heart dropped to her stomach.

There was a heaviness in the air. Everything around her stilled, as if holding its breath in apprehension. Slowly Robyn inched forward, parting the way with her shaking hands. People looked at her and gave way, she may have recognised some faces but Robyn didn't pay enough attention to care. Her eyes were fixed on the scene playing out in front of her. Ray on his knees, bloodied and bruised. Andrew lying on the ground, resting his head on Ray's lap. He looked pale, so pale. Was it the moonlight, Robyn wondered. No. Her knees buckled and she fell dejectedly beside him.

'Dad... I'm sorry,' Ray pushed out. Robyn had never heard or seen him like that. Like his injuries ran deep in him and had shattered his soul. 'Please... I'm sorry.'

Andrew gave a weak smile, eyes only half open. 'You did... Great, son.'

Ray shook his head and held Andrew's hand to his cheek, 'I did this to you,' he whispered, eyes drowning in tears.

Robyn's heart broke over and over again watching as tears dripped down his nose and onto Andrew's chest.

'I can heal him,' she found her voice. It sounded strange to her, her throat closed up from fighting back the urge to cry. 'I've done it before,' she looked at Andrew, 'let me.'

With his other hand Andrew gestured for Robyn to come closer. She obliged and took his cold hands into hers.

'No,' he said before she could muster her dwindling magic. 'This is the only way I can... Atone for what I did,' he gasped, his breath becoming more ragged and forceful. Robyn squeezed his hand.

His eyes focused on something behind her. Robyn half turned to see who it was. Rick. She must have been too preoccupied with Andrew to notice that Rick wasn't looking any better himself. Daiyu held him in her lap like Ray held Andrew, talking to him brushing his hair, crying. Had Ray really done this? She stole a glance at him. He looked completely broken.

Then Andrew spoke again, bringing her back to that awful moment. 'Please tell him... I'm sorry for... Everything.'

He gasped and coughed, dragging his breath weakly, just enough to say all he wanted to say.

'Thank you... Robyn,' he wheezed, looking between her and Ray, 'you have my blessings,' he pulled her hand to his chest, 'both of you... Together... Will...'

He struggled to push the words that were stuck in his throat out. But they never came. Tears stung Robyn's eyes as she brushed her palm over Andrew's, closing them. Ray had become quiet, in shock or disbelief. Robyn didn't know what to say, how to comfort him. She didn't even know if she understood what he must have been going through at that moment. He silently lowered his head, resting it on Andrew's forehead and sobbed.