CHAPTER [ 3 4 ]

The night was difficult to pass. Ray had twisted and turned, trying to find sleep but only ended up thinking deeper about the evening, about Robyn. He had finally fallen asleep for four hours until a dream woke him up.

It was one he had seen before, too. Though every time he woke the dream would retreat back into his fathomless mind. Normally, he would go back to sleep but that night, remnants of the dream remained behind for Ray to ponder on. He knew it was morning when the birds started chirping along his windowsill. Yet, he stayed in bed, resting one forearm above his head and the other on his hard stomach.

What finally broke his reverie was the gentle pitter-patter of the rain. Ray sighed, coming to a stand. It was still dark outside and the rain was quickly starting to hammer down. He stood silently, staring outside the window in thought.

 He stood silently, staring outside the window in thought

"You going somewhere?"

Andrew turned at his son's voice. Ray joined him at the front of the pack house, his car keys in hand.

"You look ready to go somewhere yourself," Andrew beckoned Ray to come closer. When he did, he slung his arm around Ray's shoulders. "If you're going to see Robyn don't forget to invite her fo--"

"Dad," Ray dragged out the single word, pulling away. A small smile tugged at his lips.

The morning rain had slowed to a lazy drizzle. Andrew gave a hearty laugh, drawing attention of some of the pack members. They smiled in return, some tentatively under Ray's presence.

"I'm going to see an Elder," Andrew finally answered, all traces of humour gone.

Ray appeared quizzical. "Why?"

A foot away from them, an engine revved up. Andrew started walking towards it. "We still have more to discuss," was all he called out to Ray, waving. Then he took a seat in his ride.

The tyres spun on the soft mud, splashing it on the payment before Andrew took off with Victor and Steve.

Ray stood in disbelief for a moment, watching as the car became smaller the further away it went.