CHAPTER [ 1 1 ]

"WHAT'S the news, then?"

Ray pulled a chair out and sat across from his father in his office. The late evening sun washed over Andrew, etching the delicate wrinkles around his eyes. He ran both palms over his face and instantly, Ray sensed his father's fatigue.

"We don't know who the rogues were or where they came from," Andrew crossed one ankle over the other, leaning back in his chair, "no one from the pack recognized their scent, some of them didn't even have one,"

Ray nodded. He had agreed to help his father on the matter, after his request. Although the pack weren't particularly happy about Ray returning. Some went as far as to blame him for the attack. Ray had already anticipated this welcome, sensing the pack's collective dislike towards him the second he stepped foot on the territory.

"You should rest, father," Ray leaned forward, resting his elbows on the edge of the oak desk, "leave the remaining work to me,"

Andrew gave a small smile before lifting himself off the chair and rounding the desk.

"Thanks, son,"

Ray heard the heavy, wooden door shut close behind his father and footsteps leading away to his room. He blocked out all other noises, suddenly picking up sounds from children playing in the front yard. He sighed and got up, making his way to his father's chair.

Plopping down on it, Ray wondered if he would be able to concentrate. It was just the day of the challenge, he had six more days to go. It didn't mean a lot to him, he just needed a way to get Robyn to accept him, and if she wanted to fight for it, so be it. Ray was sure he'd win it, anyway.

He had never had interest in other girls. The only reason why he had dated them was because he thought he would be able to grow out of his attraction for his mate, if he tried.

Though he soon realised that was impossible. But he tried, anyway, for the sake of his mate. The last thing he wanted was to snatch Robyn's freedom from her. He wanted to give his mate the life of a human, the life she was born into. Because he knew the way his kind were and he knew he couldn't let Robyn be tainted by their dirty blood. Robyn was innocent and pure, and Ray wanted to keep her that way.

At the end, even though he tried for two long years, Ray just couldn't hold it back. He needed to be close to Robyn. He needed to protect her. It was ironic, Ray wondered, the way he wanted to keep her clean from his kind, for her own good, yet ended up doing exactly the opposite. But what choice did he have?

With furrowed brows, Ray stared at the papers before him, while his mind gathered thoughts of Robyn and the weekend. Something didn't sit well with him. Could it be coincidence that the attack on his pack and on his mate started at the same time? As far as Ray knew, their pack had no enemies. In the recent years at least. Unless. . .

He shuffled through the papers, looking for a certain symbol on the top-right corner. His mind was occupied in thoughts still, which was why he didn't hear the footsteps nearing him.

He looked up suddenly when the door to the office swung open.

"Here you are,"

Nick walked in without permission, allowing himself onto a seat in front of Ray, completely unaware of the interruption he caused. As if an engined had hit its brakes, Ray's mind ceased all thoughts and focused on Nick making himself comfortable on the wooden chair.

"Try knocking next time," Ray mumbled before resuming his search. When Nick said nothing, Ray stopped and looked at him for the second time. "Well? What is it?"

"I just came to see how you're doing," Nick leaned back against the chair, his hands resting on his thighs.

In the short time he had known Ray, Nick had learned enough about him to know he wasn't particularly welcome or liked by his pack. Yet, he felt a sense of pride bloom in his chest looking at Ray sat behind the Alpha's desk. He knew that seat was where Ray belonged, it was what he was born for.