CHAPTER [ 3 8 ]

It had been a week since the attack. The pack was still on edge, still grieving from their losses. Andrew had managed to stabilise their defense by getting help from Ruby pack. Three people were on their way there, including the Beta's daughter, carrying the weapons they had asked for.

What happened a century ago wasn't really something Andrew felt proud of. Explaining the urgency of this to Alpha Darren was a challenge--one of many that came when Andrew decided to lead the Sapphire pack. His past would never fade. Even though he tried running away from it for a long, long time, it had caught up to him at the end.

The other two packs, nor did the subordinate packs, had anything to do with the feud between Emerald and Sapphire. Andrew wanted it to be that way. Breaking out a war within their community would achieve nothing.

"I don't think it was wise to send Heather," Steve commented.

Andrew turned to face him, his arms behind his back, "the Beta's daughter is quite stubborn, though I do agree considering our situation it is unwise to send her along."

The Beta was Alpha Darren's younger brother, making Heather his beloved niece. He had a soft spot for her, one that led her be so stubborn and not hear no for an answer.

"Ruby pack members do incline to be more bold and daring," Nick said, joining the two men in the office, "I'm sure if anything were to happen, she wouldn't--"

"Be a part of it. She will be escorted to safety with the rest of the pack members," Andrew interrupted, "I do not want a single scratch on her."

Alpha Darren, despite being an Alpha, had very little control over his anger and Andrew didn't want to give him any excuse to unleash his wrath.

"Understood," Nick nodded, "I came here to tell you that Robyn will be visiting later today."

Andrew's body visibly tensed.

"Don't worry. I won't let a scratch come on her, either," Nick reassured.

Steve looked between the two, "I'm sorry, I don't quite understand…"

"Ray's mate," Andrew said absent-mindedly. He was a man who valued the bond greatly. To him, there was nothing more holy than the connection two werewolves shared. He didn't want to keep the two halves from each other, especially since knowing what Robyn must be feeling.

She was human, but if she really was Ray's mate, she must have felt something in her heart. She deserved to see him, and Andrew wasn't going to stop her from it, despite the risks.

Andrew drew in a deep breath, "you will stay with her the entire time. Do not leave her side even for a second."

"Yes, sir," Nick agreed and dismissed himself.

"Ray found his mate?" Steve pressed.

"Two years ago."

"Oh. Well, I don't see the fuss, Alpha. If she's Ray's mate then--"

"She's not a werewolf," Andrew dropped into his chair.

Steve didn't say anything. Andrew took the time to get on with the paperwork. He still had some matters to clear regarding the attack. Contacting the work place of the deceased, arranging for finances for the families, and most importantly, he had to speak to Victor to tell the police force to warn off citizens from the area. It wasn't safe anymore even for werewolves, let alone humans.

Victor worked fulltime as the officer in charge of the small town. Of course, the humans didn't know he was also a Defense Captain for a secret werewolf community.

"Wh--she's human?" Steve finally came around.

"Yes, I know. I don't know much else about her, haven't even met her yet," Andrew stopped a second and looked at Steve, "I was just as confused as you are, but if she's human, she's human."