CHAPTER [ 6 3 ]

Robyn arrived at school earlier and went straight to form, so that she wouldn't run into Rick. Or Ray. She needed space to think about everything, about her relationship and her friendship with Rick. It was harder to get out of bed that morning, but Robyn was determined to make her last year of school as close to perfect as she could. That included having perfect attendance. The only downside was that she found it harder than usual to concentrate in her lessons.

It was now lunchtime and she was surprised and glad that she hadn't seen either of the boys yet.

"Maybe he's got something going on at home?" Robyn said, after swallowing a mouthful of her sandwich.

Kate picked at her tuna salad, staring gloomily into it.

"I would know if that was it. I went to his house yesterday and everything was fine," Kate looked up at her, "his mum was complaining about him being closed off, but that's nothing new about Dom. He's always like that with his parents, but not with me."

It was the first time Robyn could recall since Kate and Dom started going out that they weren't hanging out together during lunch. Otherwise, they would never leave each other's side. Kate was now staring off into the distance. They were sitting inside the canteen, the crowd of people around them almost made Robyn claustrophobic. She followed Kate's line of sight.

Dom stood there with Chloe, Trevor and a few other girls who Robyn wasn't very fond of. The trio were standing close together, with a somewhat blank look in their eyes. They were in stark contrast with the lively and animate atmosphere around them.

"What's the matter with them?" Robyn wondered out loud.

"The authorities spoke to him, did I tell you?" Kate said, "apparently, they found those three somewhere in the woods, but for whatever reason they didn't remember how they got there. They're saying that they got lost and could not find their way out, that's why they were missing."

Robyn shifted, unease swirling in her chest. She didn't like the sound of that and wondered if Ray knew anything about it. She would have asked him if it wasn't for their current situation. Her appetite suddenly vanished and she wrapped her sandwich back in it's foil.

"I wonder what he was doing in the woods with those two," Kate stole the words from her mouth.

"Went exploring, maybe," Robyn said with a half-hearted smile. Kate didn't buy it, of course. Neither could she.

"Oh, looks like your Romeo has finally found you," Kate said, packing her lunch away and getting up.

Robyn looked at the entrance and sure enough, Ray was trying to get through the throng off students crowding the canteen. She got up quickly, held Kate by the forearm and led her out the back entrance.

"What are you doing?" Kate shouted, her school bag slinging from her elbow.

"Sorry," Robyn said. She let go of Kate's hand but continued walking straight for the Art block. The teachers would let her and Kate in because they liked her and because she had the lesson next, anyway.

"He won't be able to come in the classroom," Robyn said.

Once they were settled on the stool in the far end of the room, Kate finally asked, "everything okay between you two?"

Robyn looked at her friend for a long second. Then she sighed and said, "I don't know."

She wrung her fingers on her lap, "yesterday... Rick said he liked me."

Kate slammed both her hands on the table, her eyes big as saucers and mouth agape, "see! I told you! What happened? Tell me everything."

Robyn took a deep breath and recalled the events of the previous day to her.