CHAPTER [ 3 9 ]

Everyone ducked, shielding their face with their forearms. Glass shimmered across the floor, then crunched as someone made their slow approach into the room.

Andrew was the first to lower his guard. A growl escaped his throat as he saw who had invaded.

"Now, now," Callum began, "I'm sure you have your questions. But I don't have time to explain."

"What the hell--"

"I really wouldn't if I were you," Callum's threat stopped Andrew midway. A sharp point glinted in his right hand, "it's made entirely of silver, just like those bullets."

Andrew's lips pulled back as he fought to hold in another growl.

"I didn't show up here to start a fight," Callum continued, "I'm just here to deliver a very straight forward message," he looked pointedly at Andrew, "from my Alpha."

Only then, Andrew sensed the presence of two other wolves. He couldn't recognise their scent nor could he see them. He ground his teeth, his body tense from the pressure of reigning back his anger.

'Victor,' he fired up his mind link, relaying to Victor to keep the defence unit on guard.

"You shouldn't be having so many visitors, you know," Callum looked at the giants in the room, both of whom had moved to protect Heather, "but I guess it's a good thing that they're here. This goes to you, too."

He looked back at Andrew, "my Alpha sent me here to be his eyes and ears. It seems Ray does have a weakness, a very strong one at that."

Andrew's fists balled tighter. His people did that to Ray.

"And your defences are pathetically weak. Consider this as a warning, or else you'll have a hard time burying the next set of bodies."

The anger took him by surprise. Andrew erupted forward, his hand flying out swiftly across Callum's chest. His claws cut through the air, out of reach.

Callum growled, "I told you to be careful." He drove the knife in his hand straight to Andrew's heart.

A deft kick sent the knife flying across the room. Heather stood before Andrew, her eyes glowing red with rage. They stood in silence for a few breaths.

"Darren really ought to keep you on a leash," Callum spat, taking a step back. He retreated until he felt the cool air of the evening on his shoulders and neck. "Packs, as we know it, will change."

Confusion wiped away the anger and frustration from everyone's faces.

"Everything, as we know it, is going to change. That is the message my Alpha has for you."

"Who the hell is he to decide that?" Andrew stepped in front of Heather, an attempt to keep her safe from another attack.

A nerve pulsed in Callum's forehead, his jaws locking painfully tight. "And who the hell were you to decide to--" he stopped short.

The words cracked Andrew's resolve. A sudden feeling of shame and guilt came over him.

"We're the same species," Callum continued, calmer than before, "then why is it so difficult for us to live in harmony? We turn on each other's back for power and greed, we see nothing wrong in killing another of our own people."

Andrew held back an impulse to retaliate, thinking of the pack members he'd lost.

"I know what you're thinking," Callum caught Andrew's eyes, "we're just giving you a taste of your own medicine. We live by justice, you know that, don't you?"

He let that sink in before speaking again. "Soon, there won't be any division between us."

"What are you trying to say? Why don't make your point?" Heather stepped next to Andrew, her eyes still glowing red.