CHAPTER [ 1 5 ]

SHE struggled to pull the tights up her leg with her long, bare fingernails coming in the way. Robyn mentally let out a stream of cuss, as her scowl deepened.

"Robyn!" Her mother shouted from the kitchen for the fourth time. It really didn't help her get ready any faster. It only made her movements more sloppy.

She jumped off the bed, her covered feet skidding on the wooden floorboards, and rushed to her dresser. The time, Robyn noticed, was 7:40. Although there was still an hour before school started, it would take her a long time to get there. Her school was more than half an hour away from where she lived, and the only way to get there was to take the bus. Which she would miss in the next five minutes.

After brushing through her hair, she threw on her blazer, grabbed her bag and headed for the stairs. She heard the doorbell ring. Expecting someone else would answer it, Robyn kept her bag on the floor and pulled her ankle boots on. It rang again.

"Harry!" She looked over her shoulder, as she called for her brother to answer the door. She didn't have time for this!

Her brother walked out of the kitchen with a bowl of cereals in one hand. He stuck out his tongue at her, teasingly, before pulling the door open.

Her frustration at being late helped her wear her shoes faster. As soon as it was on she power-walked to the kitchen, where a bowl of her favourite cereal waited on the table.

"You better finish that bowl before leaving," her mother said as she wiped her hands on the baby blue apron that hung on the wall.

Robyn shoved a spoonful of it in her mouth as she unlocked her phone and opened her Social Media account. She scrolled through her timeline, lifting another spoonful to her mouth.

"Robyn?"

She looked at her brother, " what?" Some of the milk dribbled from the corner of her lips, which she decided she would clean after.

"Ray's at the door for you," he smiled cheekily before returning on his seat to finish his bowl.

She stared, at nothing, processing what she had heard. What the hell was he doing here?

"Well, aren't you going to see him?" Laila asked, handing her a paper towel.

In her daze, Robyn ignored her mother and went to see if it was true. And it was. He was standing a few steps from the door, in a light grey suit, his hands in his pockets and hair magnificently styled to perfection. His striking blue eyes caught hers as she appeared in the doorway.

He smiled, genuinely smiled. With his thumb, he indicated to the corner of his mouth. Robyn's eyes followed, but she saw nothing there. Then, realising what he meant, she lifted her hand.

"Here," Laila came behind her and offered the paper towel again. While Robyn dabbed at her mouth, shyly, her mother spoke. "I'm really glad to see you again, Ray,"

"I'm glad to be here again," he gave a Laila a dazzling smile then looked at Robyn, "I'm here to pick Robyn up, I only realised last week that she lives so close to me,"

Robyn stopped what she was doing and stared at him shamelessly. He what? Never in two years. . . And now, suddenly? She narrowed her eyes at him, knowing it was because of that stupid challenge. He wasn't supposed to take it this seriously, and he definitely wasn't supposed to win.

"Actually, I take the bus every morning, like I have for the past years, so that won't be necessary," she smiled sweetly at him.

"Actually," Ray purposely accentuated the single word, "I already saw your bus leave while driving here, so it would be necesaary," he looked at Laila, "Right, Ms. Hale?"