CHAPTER [ 5 1 ]

Ray stood completely still, holding his breath. A column of moonlight lay before him, while he stayed hidden in the dark. After a few seconds, Robyn sighed and settled back on her pillow. Ray waited and listened until her breath changed and her chest rose and fell deeply.

The thought still bugged him. Was it okay for him to be there? He contemplated going back out of the window, but something inside stopped him from doing that. It would rather stand rooted to that spot than move an inch closer to the window. Not until it had what it wanted.

He clenched his fists and exhaled slowly. It's just a glimpse. She wouldn't even know I was here.

Slowly, he moved towards the centre of the room, the curtains billowing next to him, allowing the breeze to cool his skin. His shadow gliding across her room.

As he came closer, the breath left his lungs at once. Her brilliant red hair was glossy under the reflected moonlight, fanning out around her face. Her cheeks rosy and lips slightly parted. One hand lay draped across her torso and the other resting palm up on her pillow. Although she was on her back, her face was tilted to the right and her neck exposed.

The image of her from a dream Ray had once flashed in his mind. It was like he was in that dream again. She was a goddess of love and beauty and he was completely enthralled by it.

Ray's eyes landed on the spot where the neck and shoulder met. His heart suddenly hammered against his ribs. Gently he brushed back a few strands of hair, kneeling down beside her. His fingertips grazed her skin, the beat of her heart sending tingles up his arm. He licked his lips.

Robyn shuffled under him and then--

Her eyes flew open. Confused, Robyn sat up in bed, her heart drumming wildly. The room was quiet and bathed in moonlight. The curtains flapped furiously, showing the open window behind. Hesitantly, Robyn slid out of bed and walked towards it.

It was a bright night because of the clear skies and full moon. Robyn stood entranced by the sight, some deep yearning blooming in her chest. Reaching out, she pulled the window close leaving it open an inch, and, stealing one last glance at the moon, she went back.

Robyn jumped into bed and covered herself, facing the ceiling. She listened to the rustle of leaves outside and it calmed her nerves. Just as her eyes closed, the cry of a wolf jerked her awake. The sound clenched around her heart. Another cry tore through the silence.

Robyn took her phone and walked back to the window, opening it the way she found it. Resting her elbows on the frame, she gazed out at the sky and silhouette of trees in the distance. The howl consumed her, the way it always did. Only now, she didn't resist the feeling. She closed her eyes and relished in it.

Before she knew it, Robyn had unlocked her phone and sent a text to the boy calling out to her, reading: I miss you too.