CHAPTER [ 6 6 ]

Although it was silent, Robyn still heard Rick’s voice echo in her head. His eyes had returned back to brown, but they looked at her with the same intensity as before, waiting for a reply.

The sound of footsteps had the pair turn their heads just in time to see Ray walk around the corner. In an instant, Robyn felt like she was returning back to reality. The gears in her head that had been rendered motionless from the shock of everything Rick had told her began moving again. She fumbled with words, a string of incoherent sounds leaving her lips.

Ray’s brows were knit tightly together, his mouth a thin line. She didn’t know if he had been eavesdropping, but that was the least of her worries then.

“Coach is looking for you,” Ray said, grimly.

He stole a quick glance at Robyn before turning to leave. There was a desperate tug in her heart to follow him and speak to him. Suddenly, his absence from her life felt like a crushing weight on her shoulders that she was forcing herself to carry. She realised, in that moment, that carrying this was more heart-breaking than carrying all the baggage that came with being in a relationship with Ray. It all made sense.

Robyn moved with urgency, but was jerked back to a stop.

“Where are you going?”

She looked back at Rick, irritated. His grip on her wrist was vice-like.

“I told you I can’t go out with you,” she said, failing to keep irritation out of her voice.

“Don’t you understand? This isn’t some high school romance. I need you to be mine,” he pulled her hand to come closer but Robyn stood her ground.

She lifted her chin a little, “I don’t  care if you need me to ‘be yours’,” she said, forming quotation marks with her free hand, “I’m not something to be owned. If you want me, you have to win me over.”

She slid her hand out of his. Rick didn’t make an attempt to grab it again. Without another thought, she turned to leave. Before going around the corner, she looked back and said, “and you were right about what you said. You’re nothing like Ray.”

Robyn made her way straight to the bleachers, her steps purposeful. People moved out of her way, although she paid no attention to it.

She wanted, more than anything, for the game to be over so that she could speak to Ray and make everything go back to normal between them. Even though he messed up with her a few times, he never took advantage of having her. He always made her feel that he would earn her. Earn having this relationship with her. Never had he made her feel as if she was something that should belong to him. Even though she felt it somewhere deep inside her that she did belong to him, she now also felt with the same intensity that he, too, only belonged to her.

“Robyn!”

She whirled around, breaking out of her trance. It was Dom. He looked worse than before.

“What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

He swallowed and looked around, as if searching for someone.

“I need to show you something,” he said, his voice raspy. “About Jasmine.”

Confusion and worry swept over Robyn’s face.

“What is it?”

Dom held her by the arm and gently pulled her back to where Kate had parked his car.

“Not here,” he said, looking around again, “no one can know this.”

Now Robyn was worried. Did he find out about Jasmine’s real identity? Was it a picture? A video, perhaps? How could she react if he showed her something she already knew? Robyn wondered if she should act dumb and try to convince him otherwise.