CHAPTER [ 5 9 ]

Ray dropped Robyn home immediately after he realised how late it was getting. He made sure she kept his hoodie on as Laila opened the door and saw Robyn go straight to her room, undoubtedly to get changed. He still felt guilty for how the night turned out to be, but at least Robyn knew a little more about him and his pack than she did before.

He couldn't stay with her that night. As Ray made his way back to the pack house he couldn't help but wonder what his mate could be. Andrew seemed very preoccupied when Ray finally arrived to the house, past midnight. He didn't even look up to greet him when Ray took a seat opposite.

"Everything all right?" Ray asked.

"Not really," Andrew said, "there are way too many things coming up, way too many unanswered questions."

"Is it about my mate?"

Andrew removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes.

"I've just met with Elder Joseph, and he's given me some hint about what Robyn could be. He says he's certain of it, but I don't know, the idea seems a bit too far-fetched to me," Andrew said.

"What did Joseph say Robyn is?"

Ray's heart thumped wildly in his chest. The realisation sunk in that Robyn was, after all, not a human.

"She is a human, is what Elder Joseph said."

A noise of confusion slipped out of Ray's mouth. "What?"

"Yes, Elder Joseph said Robyn is in fact a human. Just, a very special kind of human since she's also your mate," said Andrew.

"What does being my mate have anything to do with... Her being a human or not?"

"It has everything to do with it, son. I think it's time you learned a little more about your wolf."

It was difficult to concentrate the days following the dinner

It was difficult to concentrate the days following the dinner. Robyn's mind kept wandering off to that night, thinking and rethinking everything that happened and everything she had learned. Rick called her again to confirm they were meeting the coming Sunday. Robyn still didn't know what he had planned for them. Like she had suggested, Kate and Dom were also invited to join them.

Robyn wore long sleeves t-shirts and dresses for the next few days since her scar was at least three shades lighter than her skin colour. She noticed it was fading ever so slowly with each passing day and wondered if that was normal. She was also a little upset that Ray hadn't come to see her since. As it was nearing the end of her summer holidays, she thought it would be wiser to finish off all her homework instead of wasting time waiting for a text message from him.

That Sunday, at eight, sharp, Rick was ready to collect her at her door. Laila answered it and invited him in. Robyn joined them in the kitchen not long after, slinging a rucksack on one shoulder. It wasn't cold yet, but she knew it would get chilly as the night wears on, so she packed a hoodie with her. It was the one Ray lent her the previous week. He had texted her twice since then. Robyn didn't complain about it. It was more than the usual zero.