CHAPTER [ 6 7 ]

Something shifted in the atmosphere. The air became heavier, thicker. Robyn felt as if it was weighing her body down. Although she was on her knees she felt them completely unable to move off the ground, as if they were glued there. Suddenly she noticed she wasn’t the only one. Jasmine had landed on her knees with a thud, strain and resistance clearly visible on her face. What was happening?

“Get up, Robyn,” he called, his voice smooth as ever.

The weight lifted off her body in an instant. Robyn scrambled to her feet and backed away. Ray was walking towards Trevor and Dom, who were both trembling on the ground unable to even look up at Ray. Caleb was slumped against the wall, blood covering one half of his body. His breaths were deep and laboured. Robyn wiped the tear sliding down her cheek and ran to him.

“Are you okay?” she asked, kneeling beside him.

He gave a small, almost non-existent, nod.

Ray towered over the cowering wolves. Somehow, as if by magic, they changed back to human right before Robyn’s eyes and lay motionless by his feet.

From the darkness, Nick emerged carrying Chloe’s unconscious body. She had returned back to complete human form, too, her body draped in Dom’s discarded shirt. He laid her down next to the other two.

“She’s alive,” he said as he stood back up.

“Who did this to them?” Ray’s voice was calm but underneath there was undeniable rage.

Robyn and Caleb looked at Jasmine, who was now shaking from the strain of trying to break Ray’s control over her. Her face had an alarming resemblance to that of an animal, something Robyn had never seen before. Whereas at one point she used to look up to this girl for her elegance and beauty, now all that she could see was a grotesque remnant of it.

“Speak, Jasmine,” Ray turned to her, “why did you do this to them?”

The first sound that left her mouth was a growl.

“Speak.”

“To use them,” she spat out, “so that I could get rid of her,” her eyes pinned Robyn down. She knew, in that moment, that if Ray wasn’t holding her in place she would have leaped to her in a second and finish what she started.

“Why do you have to use humans?”

“Why should I lose a perfectly good wolf of mine to be sent to jail for manslaughter? Humans are disposable. Take Shane for example, how long did the police investigate? If it’s an animal attack, it’s an animal attack.”

Robyn felt sick to her stomach.

“Shane..?” Ray said, “so that was you? You’ve been trying to kill my mate all this time. Why her? What’s she done to you?”

Jasmine was quiet for a second, then said, “she’s taking what’s mine from me.”

Ray looked at Robyn, then at Caleb.

“Caleb is already yours,” he said.

She scowled, “not him. My Alpha. Alpha Ulric.”

”