CHAPTER [ 5 6 ]

The day ended way better than it had begun. Ray couldn't stay for long because he still had training to do. So, after giving her a peck on the cheek, he jumped out of the window, the way he always came, and left her alone again. Robyn pushed back the feeling of emptiness at his absence. This was getting out of hand, she thought sliding out of bed.

Her phone buzzed again and she saw it was a text from Rick. Apparently he had found something fun for them to do during the rest of the summer holidays. Robyn decided to ask him about it later. Right now, she was still smitten by the kiss she just shared with Ray and she wanted to bask in its aftermath a little longer. She felt like he was holding himself back from giving her more. And Robyn was certain it had something to do with him being what he was. She wished she could have a normal relationship. But the thought of being with someone else felt like a knife to her heart. She couldn't entertain the thought even if she wanted to.

The rest of the day went by quickly. They were given a lot of homework to do over the holidays, so Robyn busied herself with it the following week. She could never leave work to the last minute. It gave her the worst anxiety. Besides, a lot of it was Art work and she didn't mind doing that at all. She waited for Ray to text her or call her, but he was doing it again—going MIA on her.

The next weekend, Rick had surprised Robyn by showing up on her doorstep in the afternoon. They hung out at the park together until late evening. He joined her for dinner that night; somehow Laila had managed to convince him to stay. Robyn's mother had always been the kind of a woman who enjoyed company, especially during meal times. If not for Rick, then she would have invited Kate over, which used to happen very often when they were younger.

When Rick finally left, at around nine-thirty, Robyn cleared up the kitchen and went to bed. Excitement bubbled in her chest when she saw Ray had texted her.

Ray: Wish it were me at dinner tonight. Is tomorrow at 7 okay for you? I miss you.

Robyn smiled. She liked that he always had his eyes on her.

Robyn: Should have joined us then. 7 sounds good. Will I get to see you before then?

She paused before sending the text. She could have written she missed him more, but the words would do injustice to just how much she missed him.

Ray: Of course, love. I'll pick you up x

A grin burst through her lips at the kiss at the end of his text. Before she could type a reply, another text popped up on her screen.

Rick: Thanks for the dinner. I should come more often I think lol. By the way, aren't you curious about what I've discovered for us to do over the remaining holidays?

It had completely slipped Robyn's mind to ask him about that. She quickly replied, asking him what it was.

Rick: I won't tell you now. You'll have to wait. It happens every Sunday night, wanna see tomorrow?

Robyn's smile faltered.

Robyn: How about next week..? I'm seeing Ray tomorrow night. Sorry.

He didn't reply back. Robyn kept her phone back down on the bedside table and started getting ready for bed. Fifteen minutes later as she slid under the sheets, she noticed he still hadn't replied. Robyn sighed. Meeting Ray's father was more important that goofing around on a Sunday night with her friend. Although she reassured herself what the priority was, she couldn't help the guilt creeping into her heart.