CHAPTER [ 2 6 ]

"Report?" Andrew spoke.

"They're about ten of them, coming from the upper west area, Sir. Defenses are alert and anticipating their first move," Victor looked at the map laid over the table and pointed to the areas under threat of attack.

Ray stood over, watching and listening for any sound that may give away the enemy. They were extremely skilled wolves, that much Ray had figured out.

He filtered out the noises around him and focused his mind on the strong sense of anger and hatred he felt radiating from the enemy wolves. Closing his eyes, he visualized the territory, letting the sense lead him to the wolves, one by one.

"They're eight of them." Ray's voice caught everyone by surprise. "Four at the back and four moving closer to the pack house," he moved quickly to the map and pointed where the wolves were located.

"Victor," Ray looked straight at him.

"Yes, Sir."

"Communicate to the Defense unit and tell them to ambush the four at the back," Ray headed for the front door, "I will handle the others."

"But Si--"

Ray didn't wait to hear it. The door slammed shut behind him and immediately, he sensed the wolves clear and sharp. As they approached, their eyes shone through the darkness. Ray stood before the pack house protectively. Together, the four wolves leapt into the light with a growl.

They looked savage, nothing like the noble creatures they were made to be. Ray suppressed his urge to shift, reigning control over the wolf inside him.

Saliva hung off their exposed canines, their faces painfully contorted in a snarl, promising death to anyone who dared come close. Ray looked at all four of them, realizing these wolves had lost connection to their human side. He took a calm step towards them.

In less than a second, the wolves pounced at him all at once.

"Stop!" Ray's rough voice rattled the windows of the house. Two of the wolves fell heavily while the other two fought his command. He caught one by the neck, extending his claws and slicing it to shreds.

The wolf winced and Ray felt the spirit leave as his body disintegrated to mud. He looked over where the two wolves had fallen--only, they had fled. Ray ground his teeth together in anger, then looked at the wolf standing right ahead of him, snarling.

Looking directly into the it's eyes, Ray commanded again, "kneel."

It's legs shook with strain, trying hard to fight it again. Ray knew it was futile, it was impossible for any werewolf to deny his command. In a few seconds, the wolf fell with a thud, letting out a pained cry in the process.

"You are under my control now," Ray stepped closer to the wolf, reaching out his hand to touch its head. "Seeing my people like this really burns my heart. Tell me your name."

The wolf let out a low growl, unable to move any part of its body.

"We are... Not... Your people."

His voice was too deep and gruff to belong to any human. Ray clenched his fists, daring the wolf with his eyes.

"I said, tell me your name."

"C-Callum."

Loosening his grip on the wolf, Ray commanded, "come back, Callum."

The wolf screwed it's eyes shut, growling in pain. It writhed under Ray, refusing to be put back in its place, refusing to give up control. Ray gripped it's fur, allowing himself to exude more power, knowing it wouldn't fight back to his command. It couldn't.