CHAPTER [ 4 3 ]

Robyn was shocked to find the door unlock when she reached her mum's flower shop. She had double-checked as she locked up the day before, as she did with everything. Her heart thumped and she cautiously stepped in. The back kitchen light was on. From the doorway, Ray emerged carrying a tray of cupcakes she had baked yesterday.

Her bag slipped from between her fingers.

"Good morning, Robyn," as if she wasn't already, Ray dazzled her with his smile.

"What--How?" She absent-mindedly reached for her bag and threw it by the cast iron chair, making her way to the counter.

"I met Laila yesterday when I went to pick you up," he looked down at her, still smiling, "and since I know you're being tutored, I offered to take care of this," he waved a palm around the space, "for you."

Robyn's eyes narrowed ever so slightly.

"Or is it that you want to spy on Rick and I?"

Ray crossed his arms, leaning forward on the counter, "so what if I do?"

Before Robyn could utter her disbelief, the bell jingled and Rick made his entry.

"Morning--Ray?"

"Morning, Rick?"

Robyn shook her head and walked to her chair, taking a seat. She saw Rick give an awkward smile to Ray then he joined her.

Robyn shrugged before he could enquire anything. To that, Rick breathed a laugh, his dimple sinking deep on one cheek. Robyn smiled back, pulling her biology notes out.

They started going over their notes straight away. Every time Robyn would get stuck, Rick would slow down and walk her through the text again. More than the complexity of the subject, Robyn blamed Ray for her lack of concentration. His energy was palpable, making her extremely conscious of his sharp, blue eyes on her back.

The first customers brought in a gush of cold air with them. They were also sixth form students from a different, more posh school. The girls were dressed in smart, expensive looking clothes, their hair silky and lips painted red. They laughed with confidence, and upon seeing the boy behind the counter, they flicked their hair behind one shoulder and smiled charmingly.

It became even harder to concentrate. Especially when she would hear Ray pass a friendly comment at which the girls would giggle and shamelessly flirt.

"Hey, Robyn, are you with me?" Rick snapped his fingers under her nose.

She blinked back to her revision, taking a deep breath. "Yes, just trying to make sense of this," she lied, flipping a page. Her pen rolled off the table, falling behind her. Robyn rolled her eyes, feeling aggravated by the minute occurrence. She turned, and instinctively looked at Ray.

He was handing a drink to one of them, smiling. And then he winked. Robyn was certain she saw the girl's knees buckle. Grabbing her pen off the floor, she whipped back around to face Rick.

With the same patience and calm, he explained everything over again. Robyn tried her hardest to keep focused, but her mind wandered with every new customer. The hour dragged on, slowly and torturously. By the end of it, Robyn was uncomfortable to be sitting there. She wished her mother never had allowed Ray his temporary part-time voluntary job--or whatever it was.

Robyn didn't waste a second more when it was time for them to leave for school. She packed her things away hurrirdly and stood, heading for the door. She figured Ray would lock up since he had opened the shop, too.

"Robyn," Rick jogged up to her, fixing the shoulder straps of his bag, "what's the rush?"

He combed his fingers through his curly, brown hair. "Umm..." Rick slowed to a stop, making Robyn follow suit.

Little Red (✅ COMPLETED)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara