CHAPTER [ 7 6 ]

The next day Robyn and her friends had settled back into their rooms in the estate. Kate, however, was immediately sent home. There was a strict curfew for everyone below the age of eighteen in town. Since learning half her year from school was missing Robyn couldn't contain her anxiety.

But she tried.

She was perched on her window sill, looking out into the stretch of grass that led to the woods behind the estate. Hidden somewhere in there was the creek she was at just the day before, and scattered on the ground there lay all the leaflets the police and volunteers had handed out. Little did they know the people they were looking for were probably locked in some abandoned warehouse or in Ulric's basement, slowly losing their mind to an age-old curse.

Her eyes wandered up to the velvety black sky and almost full moon. It was the start of October soon, her favourite month of the year. She wondered if it had anything to do with her witch lineage. It was a shame, Robyn thought, she couldn't use her newfound powers to help Ray and Andrew fight this war. It was a shame it had to happen in the first place.

A knock on her door pulled her out of her thoughts.

"Sorry," came Ray's voice, "I'm coming in."

Robyn rolled her eyes. He had climbed through the window in her room before.

He closed the door as soon as he was in the room.

"I'm meant to be training," he said, "but I wanted to check on you once. You're overthinking about those missing people, aren't you?"

Did he really know her that well?

"There's nothing else to do," she sighed, her back towards the window now, leaning her hips on the sill.

"Robyn," he made a move to come closer, but abruptly stopped himself. "I can't be in this room for long."

His eyes swirled to a vibrant blue. Robyn thought she knew why and smiled.

"Listen," Ray said, all business. His voice crawled up Robyn's back. The one word making her stand straight and wiping the smile off her face.

"We don't know where Ulric is, where he's keeping those people, how many werewolves are remaining in his pack, or how powerful they may be. He has attacked me with a silver bullet before, he may use it again."

Robyn balled her fist. Silver bullets were lethal, that much she already knew. She had nearly lost Ray to it. He held up his palm when she opened her mouth to speak.

"My safety isn't a concern here," Ray said, "it's yours."

"But I care about your safety, and everyone else's safety in this house," the palms of her hands tingled with heat.

He moved closer into the room this time, walking until he was right in front of her.

"We're doing all of this for you, Robyn. Andrew has promised your mother he will keep you safe. All of us have. Me, my father, my pack, all of us are here to protect you and make sure the enemy absolutely cannot lay his hands on you," he held her shoulders gently, looking deep in her eyes, urging her to see things the way he did.

"If Ulric wins... It's going to be bad. Really bad. For everyone. For werewolves, humans, the world. He's already told us he wants to be the only Alpha, he won't give anyone else a chance to overthrow him once he gets the power to achieve his goal. And you're the way to that power, Robyn. Do you understand?

"You're like a powerhouse of energy. I don't know where or how you get your power, but you have a lot of it stored and ready to be used. And Ulric will suck you dry if–"