CHAPTER [ 1 2 ]

THE normal routine went another way. Normally, he would have parked his car in the spot that was unofficially reserved just for him, as if he were some kind of a royalty. He'd leave his car just after the girl in the passenger seat would step out and shut the door. And then it would start, the greetings, the smiles, the hugs. He would join his friends, with Trevor among the boys, where he would get more hugs and kisses on the cheek by some of the girls. Then the warning buzzer would ring and they would all walk past Robyn, without so much as glancing at her, to their respective form rooms.

Robyn lowered the mobile phone she was holding as a disguise so she could get a better look at the car parked next to Kate's. Today, he had abandoned his spot to take up the empty one next to the car Robyn rode in that morning. And, to her surprise, he stepped out of it all alone. No girls today he had given a free ride to. As he shut the door and turned to walk, Robyn quickly looked back at the phone in her hand, pretending to use it.

After dropping her off, Kate had left to join Dom at the back of the school, where he hung out in the morning for a smoke with his friends. Ever since they started dating, Robyn barely got to see her best friend but then she didn't want to be a third wheel either. Her screen timed out, projecting her reflection back at her just as she heard her name being called.

She looked up in a jerk, seeing Ray.

"Good morning," he smiled, taking another small step towards her.

He hadn't gone to his friends, what Robyn had expected him to do. She realised he was really taking the challenge seriously. How could she win like this?

"Morning," she mumbled sheepishly, her mind elsewhere, wondering if he was planning to spend the morning staring at her with those intense blue eyes. "Are you-"

"Ray!"

His friends joined him. The boys slapped him on the back while the girls waved, wiggling their manicured fingers. Robyn immediately felt out of place, taking a tentative step back. Immediately Chloe stepped forward, blocking Robyn out of the circle of students that had just formed in a matter of seconds. She cleared her throat, feeling dwarfed standing around them; most of the girls were a year older than her and also taller than her. The noise she made was swallowed by the chatter. Robyn decided it would be best to make her exit, at least she wouldn't be embarrassed that way.

Pulling her rucksack further up, Robyn turned to walk away.

"Wait. Robyn,"

She stopped at the command. It happened so swiftly, her body giving up control at the voice, she didn't have time to process it. Slowly, she turned.

The chatter reduced to nothing as Ray walked past his friends, clearing a way. He reached out for Robyn. Electricity sparked under Robyn's skin as his fingers wrapped around her wrist, gently and softly. He tugged, beckoning her towards him.

Effortlessly, her legs moved to stand next to him. Close to him. She felt a shiver rake goosebumps up her back, which soothed as soon as she was cocooned in his presence, his warmth. She looked up at him, seeing his strong jawline, and his light hair glowing under the sun, like a halo. Her heart ached at his beauty.

"Ray?" Her voice came out soft, almost a whisper. She had suddenly lost her strength to speak up, her heart beating wild as the seconds passed.

She looked away when he glanced at her, unable to look into his striking blue eyes, which also seemed to be glowing. Colour rose to her cheeks as the next words blew out of his lips.

"Robyn is part of our group now. That means no more picking at her," he fixed Trevor with a glare, "everyone," he looked at Chloe, "has to be nice to her, and have her feel welcomed,"