CHAPTER [ 6 2 ]

The day had been long and tiring. Robyn's teachers were already talking about exams, revision and of course, University applications. The more they talked about it, the clearer it became to Robyn that continuing her education might not be the right thing for her to do. She focused, instead, on getting through the year with better grades.

When the buzzer wailed, her classmates rushed out. Robyn took her time putting her Maths equipment and books away. Rick was waiting outside her class when she finally left.

"Hi," she said, feeling a little disappointed it wasn't Ray waiting for her.

"Hi," he said back, "want me to drop you off? Kate left early, she told me to let you know."

They stepped out in the chilly late afternoon air. Robyn looked around to see if she could spot Ray. He attracted attention wherever he went, it wouldn't be hard to find him. To her greater disappointment, he was nowhere to be seen. Just as she was about to give up, she recognized a group of people. They were from her Year and sure enough, in the middle was Ray. Robyn frowned. In the same second, Ray's eyes lifted to meet hers and it took her breath away. With all the might inside her, Robyn faced Rick.

"Yes, can you drop me off?" she asked Rick, "and is everything okay with Kate?"

"Yeah, she just wanted to go see Dom since he wasn't at school today," she could feel Rick's gaze on her, "I want to talk to you about something."

Robyn was about to thank him for the ride but his words almost stopped her in her tracks. He looked serious, now that she took the time to take in his expression. Before climbing in the passenger seat of his car, Robyn stole a glance back at Ray's direction. He was making his way towards them. Robyn jumped in quickly and buckled herself while Rick did the same.

"Robyn!" Ray's voice was muffled but still had the same effect on her like always. In a moment of weakness she almost changed her mind and got out of the car so that she could spend the time with Ray. But she stayed put and said, "don't wait for him."

Rick drove off. In the rearview mirror, she watched Ray standing there looking confused and angry. Good. Satisfaction flared in her chest. Then Rick pulled onto the main road. It had become cloudy as the day progressed, so it didn't come as a surprise when thick, heavy raindrops splattered against the windshield and windows.

"You wanted to talk about something?"

Robyn faced to see the boy sitting next to her. He was so different than Ray. Usually, his warm brown eyes were full of mirth but today they were hard and focused on the road. They looked more like Ray's for once, now that she really concentrated on them.

"Yeah," he said. His voice was smooth and boyish. Not as deep as Ray's.

"Is everything okay?" Robyn shifted slightly so she could face him better. They reached a traffic light, the lights washing over their faces. The roads were sleek from the rain, reflecting the light also.

Rick tightened his grip on the steering wheel. Anxiety swirled in Robyn's chest.

"What's the matter? Should I be worried?"

As if breaking out of a deep thought, Rick turned to face her for the first time since they got in the car. His eyes immediately softened again, the warmth returning back in them.

"I'm sorry," he said. Momentarily, he looked outside the window at the rain, "you remember the first time we met?"

Robyn raked her brain for the memory.

"It was raining," Rick said. The image of them sharing an umbrella flashed in her mind.

"I remember now," Robyn smiled, "you shared your umbrella with me. And you scared Trevor away when he wouldn't let me into that corner shop. It feels like that was so long ago."