CHAPTER [ 1 7 ]

ROBYN turned onto her back to face the ceiling. She was tucked in bed from the waist down and lost deep in thought. It was the day after the attack on her took place. The affects of the shock her body was under showed that morning, when her eyes opened to get ready for school. Her forehead was warm to touch and her legs felt like jelly. Her mother allowed her a day off, so she could rest and become healthy again.

Laila thought she was working too hard at school. Robyn wasn't sure if she was happy or guilty for her mother to not know the truth. A lot had happened in very little time and a large part of her told her Laila wouldn't understand if she blurted werewolves were real. To Robyn, it seemed like the right thing to not stress Laila about her. She had already done a lot for Robyn, choosing to raise her being one of those favours. It wasn't much of a shock to her the day Laila revealed to her that she was adopted. Still, that didn't change the relationship they had fostered together. Robyn just didn't want to trouble her mother over this matter, she saw it as a burden which she wasn't going to pass onto her mother's shoulders.

A knock interrupted her thoughts.

"Come in," her voice was hoarse from sleeping.

Laila stepped into her room, "honey, Kate's on the phone for you,"

Robyn mentally face-palmed. She hadn't checked her phone all day, since she was too busy sleeping off the events of yesterday and the fever that crept overnight.

She smiled at her mother and took the phone from her hand.

"Hello?"

Robyn heard her bedroom door gently click shut. Then Kate's somewhat husky voice crackled through.

"Hey! I hope you're feeling better,"

Robyn hoped for the same. "I am, much better from this morning," she lied.

"That's why you weren't answering my calls, then,"

Robyn reached for her phone on the night stand and pressed the single button. 6 missed calls and 5 messages from Kate. She opened them.

"I'm sorry, I've--"

"I'm sorry, too, Robyn," Kate broke her off.

Robyn stopped going through the messages and kept her phone down. "What for?"

"Because I've been a bad friend. Ever since Dom..." She paused and took a deep breath. "Let's catch up tomorrow?"

Robyn stared into thin air for a second before nodding her head. "Yes, yes sure," a smile quickly washed her sour mood away.

"Yay!" Kate voice turned up a notch from the excitement.

They shared a brief laugh before the line went silent.

"I've missed you, Robyn," she sighed.

Robyn held her phone tighter, feeling the absence of her best friend suddenly.

"I've missed you, too,"

"You'll come in tomorrow, right?"

She couldn't miss another day of her school, there was already too much she was behind on . "Of course,"

 "Of course,"