CHAPTER [ 4 5 ]

"Can I have some after it's done?"

Harry kept checking in on the cake in the oven. After half an hour he plucked the courage to ask if he could have it.

Robyn smiled, "of course. But not yet, you'll have to wait."

He whined but didn't argue, and left. He'd come back again in five minutes anyway to see if it's done.

Robyn was going to ask Ray when they go bowling to come to her house for the evening. She didn't know what kind of cake he liked, so she made her favourite one. It was a coffee cake, which like Harry, Robyn couldn't wait to try.

When the timer started beeping Robyn slid the cake out of the oven and left it to cool down. She got her phone out while waiting for it to cool and texted Rick.

Robyn: Hey, you remember we're going bowling today, right?

Her phone buzzed not long after.

Rick: Yeah! Can't wait to beat you at it ;P

Robyn: Well, I hope it's okay but I invited Ray and a couple of his friends to join us...

Robyn felt hesitant sending the text. She had planned the whole thing by herself, not thinking twice if Rick would mind. She saw the three dots dancing on her screen as he typed. After a while came a reply which seemed suspiciously small for the amount of time spent typing it.

Rick: it's okay :)

Nevertheless, Robyn was grateful he didn't mind. She texted him the time and place.

Twenty minutes later the cake was cooled to her liking. She began decorating it, making it as neat as she could.

"Can I have a slice now?"

She kept the piping bag down, covering the cake with a domed lid.

"Not yet, Harry, you have to wait until the evening," Robyn repeated, carrying it to the fridge.

Her brother was yet to hit puberty, so he was still short. Robyn kept the cake on the top most shelf in the fridge and pushed it all the way back for extra measure.

"What?! Why?" He cried, "wait--is it for someone?"

Robyn's flustered expression was his answer. A cheeky smiled formed on his face, and he looked like her ever devilish little brother. Robyn knew then she wasn't going to hear the end of this any time soon.

When three o'clock rolled around, Robyn was already inside the bowling alley, waiting for everyone else to join

When three o'clock rolled around, Robyn was already inside the bowling alley, waiting for everyone else to join. She hoped and prayed everyone would show up.

Sure enough, only a minute later the door opened and in walked Caleb, Nick, Ray and Jasmine. Almost all heads turned to look at them, they seemed so out of place. The eyes stayed particularly fixed at Ray and Jasmine, which Robyn wasn't surprised about.