Blood Stained Memories

Trost District

The sun had gone down and the air had turned brisk. Homes were destroyed and so, so many lives were lost.  Annie had been captured, though nobody could tell if she was dead or alive. The capture of the Female Titan wasn't as successful as many would have hoped; but for now the Female Titan was no longer a threat to humanity. And that was all that mattered. The remaining members of the Survey Corps that were left celebrated their small yet efficient victory the day after Annie's capture with a bonfire while grieving for their fallen comrades.

Erwin had just returned from his painstakingly long and aggravating journey from Mitras where he was thoroughly questioned on Annie's titan form by the Military Police higher-ups. As usual, the Military Police is placing the blame on the Survey Corps for the extent of the damage that was caused. Exhausted by the journey and questions, he needed to see if his squads had any updates on the situation at hand and Annie's crystallization. Such was the duty of a commander, anyway.

"What a headache that was..." He mumbled to himself as he rubbed the back of his neck walking to grab a seat by the bonfire next to Hange. 

"Commander!! Welcome back." Hange grinned, enthusiastically at the tall man above her.

"Thanks, glad to be back from that hell hole." He replied back, sitting down in the wooden chair in front of the fire, now rubbing the bridge of his nose. He noticed Levi next to Hange, quietly staring into the fire with his arms crossed. Sometimes he was glad that Levi wasn't much of a talker. Today was one of those days. Hange Zoe on the other hand? She would talk to a rock for hours.

"Did I miss anything while I was out?" Erwin asked while staring into the fire. 

"Actually..." Hange began, "If you're not too busy there is something fishy we need to look into."

"What is it?" Erwin flicked his eyes towards Hange.

"Minister Nick." Levi sharply cut in, "He knows something but won't say what it is, fucking aggravating if you ask me. He's useless." 

"Minister Nick?" Erwin raised an eyebrow, "The 'Wallist' priest? That guy?"

Hange nodded in response, "Yeah. Though he was helpful nonetheless when the titan in the wall was revealed. He instructed us to cover it up so the sunlight wouldn't hit it. Who knows what would have happened..."

"Interesting... I assume he's being held under supervision?" 

"Yep."

"Alright. Tomorrow we'll see what we can do about him. For now, let's enjoy this while we can." Erwin leaned back in his chair, closed his eyes, and sighed. He could fall asleep in the uncomfortable wooden chair before him, he was that tired.

A group of recruits joined the bonfire, talking amongst themselves. Their banter was light and full of hope. Nothing like the kind of conversations the older bunch seems to have anymore. Funny how that happens. Erwin heard them ask about each other's past and how they managed to join the military in the first place. While he pretended not to listen and continued on with his eyes shut, his own reasoning for joining the military came back to mind. 

"Those cursed memories," he thought, "Would things be different if I never left?" Though his eyes closed, he furrowed his eyebrows and clenched his teeth. 

Levi seemed to notice the Commander's uncomfortableness and intervened. 

"Alright, brats. Time for bed. Don't forget we're sending some of you to Wall Rose tomorrow. If you oversleep, I'll beat you." Levi glared at the recruits who shot up from their seats.

"Y-Yes, Captain!" They said in unison and scurried away to their quarters. 

Erwin chuckled "Thank the Walls for Levi", he thought.

Finally. Silence. 

...Or so Erwin thought.

"My, how did we manage to get here in the first place...?" Hange started, "Hearing them talk like that certainly brought back some memories. Come to think of it, Erwin, forgive me if I'm overstepping but what made you want to join the military?" 

Erwin hesitated, but opened a single eye and looked at Hange "It's a long story", he said. 

"Awh come on Commander!" Hange begged, turning towards Erwin, the fire glowing around her. 

"Hange," Levi began.

Erwin sighed. Maybe it would help to talk about his sins and how he singlehandedly is responsible for his entire family's death instead of bottling up the memories that haunt him daily. 

"I don't mind", Erwin sat up in his chair, "just, I'm not proud of it..." he looked down, not willing to look at his comrades. 

______________________________________________________________

AN: Hello! Okkkkk! This is my first story ever, next chapter will be a flashback on what happened with Erwin's past. Sorry if this chapter was boring hehe. I hope it gets better if you guys choose to stick with it.