Hope of Mankind

Levi's eyes widened as he suddenly realized what Erwin said. He slowly turned his eyes towards Erwin.

 He slowly turned his eyes towards Erwin

"Is there a way...?" A light tread of hope in his voice.

Erwin gave a weak smile. He shut his eyes for a brief moment then opened them again.

"Yes." 

Levi grew hostile, "Erwin... why'd you keep your shitty mouth shut this entire time?! You've been risking us all in these past ten minutes-- Cordelia included!" 

Levi's words stung... But, he was right. Erwin did his best to ignore Levi's comment.

"If the plan goes well, you and Cordelia will be able to take down the Beast Titan," Erwin squinted,

"But..." He trailed off.

Levi glared at Erwin, waiting for him to continue.

Another attack showered over the Recruits, hitting the Wall behind them.

The Recruits wailed out in fear from trying to shield themselves from the debris.

"...It will take the Recruits, and myself to give our lives," The wind from the attack swayed their hair and jacket from the attack.

Levi stared deeply at Erwin, already disliking the plan he had in mind. He did his best to keep his emotion at bay.

The stakes are high, is there really no other way...?

Erwin sighed,"...It's like you said," He turned to Levi, "Either way, most of us will die. No, it's almost guaranteed we'll all be wiped out. But..."

A woman's voice in the background distracted them. Her voice was firm but full of hope.

Erwin and Levi turned their attention to Cordelia who was doing her best to keep the young Recruits calm, instructing them to cover their heads and duck.

"Everyone just breathe! Focus on keeping the horses calm-- They can sense your energy! When the next attack comes, make sure you duck and cover your heads!" She instructed. 

Erwin let out a small laugh, "Just look at her. She'll make a fine mother someday, don't you think? She reminds me of ours a lot. A spitting image."

Erwin turned to face Levi again with a smirk.

Levi stared at Cordelia,  "...Yeah," He replied. 

Thoughts of Cordelia tending to their children in the far future relieved Levi of the tension that he was feeling from the situation.

Erwin smiled at Levi, he could practically read his mind.

He cleared his throat, "In this case, if this plan I have works, I can stake the heroic deaths of the Recruits and myself on a slim chance of victory," Erwin said as he walked away.