The Smith Family: Part 2- Shattered

"Erwin! Come help me run an errand!" Rosalie called to her son who was outside playing with his siblings in a tree.

"Coming!" He jumped down from the tree and skipped towards the house. 

Entering their home, he made his way to the kitchen where his mom had yelled for him through the open window.

"Yes, Mom?" He looked up at her, all dirty and torn from his roughhousing with his brother and climbing the tree.

"Ah, Erwin!" She rubbed his dirty face with her apron, making him blush with embarrassment. 

"Stop that, I'm grown now!" He swatted her hand away, "I'm 11 years old, you know!" 

She smiled softly at him, "My, where has the time gone...?" She paused, "I remember when you would cling to my leg and would refuse to let go no matter what", she paused, "Now look at you. A great and reliable big brother. You must remember to protect your brother and sister no matter what, okay? Promise?" She bent down to his level to pat his head. 

"I know, I promise!" Erwin grinned at his mother. "Pierce will be able to protect himself soon but I will protect Cordelia forever! That's my job as a big brother!" He saluted the military salute, placing his fist to his heart, a proud smile on his face, grinning so big his eyes were closed.

Rosalie was shocked to see her son do the military salute, her eyes widened. She was taken aback but didn't ask any questions. 

She pursed her lips together, "...Of course. That's right." She paused to see him smiling proudly up at her. She cleared her throat,  "Go to the market and see if they have any fresh meat and pick up some veggies, too." 

She handed him some money, 

"I'd send your father but the cold is almost upon us and he has to chop some firewood. I do hate you going by yourself. See if Pierce or Cordelia want to go with you."

"Veggies?? Blegh." Erwin made a face at the suggestion, cringing with all his might.

FLICK. 

"Gyah!" Erwin turned to see his dad standing over him. 

"Dad! That hurt!" Erwin jumped back, holding the back of his head with his hand.

"What kind of big brother can protect his siblings if he won't even eat his veggies to become big and strong, hrm?!" His father eyed at him seriously, with his ax in hand facing the front door. He pushed his glasses further up on the bridge of his nose as he walked out the door. 

"O-Okay. I'll get some veggies and eat all of them! I'll show you how strong I'll be!" Erwin replied extremely determined as he ran out the door towards the front yard.

"Erwin!!" A tiny voice called out to him, "Where are you going?" He could tell it was his sister, though he couldn't see her as she was too high up in the tree.

"To the market! Wanna come?" He called back, walking towards the tree, hopeful to have some company alongside him.

"Nope! That's boring. We're playing castles! Come back soon so you can play with us!" She cheered. 

Erwin looked up so he could see where his sister was, he had to squint to see her.

"Be careful, Cordelia! You're really high up!" Erwin stated. He turned to look at his brother. 

"Pierce, make sure Cordelia is safe and doesn't hurt herself! I'm trusting you!! If she is hurt when I come back, I'll pop you!" Erwin held up a fist to show Pierce how serious he was.

Pierce's face suddenly grew a slight shade of pale as he turned towards his sister.

 "Ahm, Cordelia maybe we should go down a few branches..." Pierce awkwardly smiled at his sister.