The Truth of the Walls

"Sheesh, what a mess today was." Cordelia yawned as she entered her quarters, shutting her door behind her. The perk of being a Captain in the Military Police meant a room to herself, unbothered by roommates. 

Today she had been continuing the cleanup from the Female Titan's and Eren's Titan's destruction. They still had barely made a dent in progress. It would take forever for the city to return to its once-flourishing state. It seemed that no matter where she went, death and destruction would follow her. Maybe she was bad luck, after all. 

Cordelia sighed and took her jacket off. She could feel the thick ashes and dirt that stained her uniform and body. She wiped her forehead with her hand and looked at the grime she had wiped off herself. Was she getting too old for this? Cordelia grabbed her towel and headed towards the bathroom. 

Luckily she was alone as she drew her bath. The last thing she needed to end her day was happy go lucky recruits who loved to talk about the boys they had a crush on. Steam quickly filled the vicinity of the bathroom. She stepped into the warmth of the water as the tub filled up to her chin. Her thoughts echoed in her mind again. Was she getting too old for this? She had just turned 27 with not much progress on her and her brother's shared goal. What was the hold up here? Should she give up and think about settling down? She had always wanted to open a herbal and florist shop if she wasn't so dedicated to her goal. Flowers gave her hope, something to keep her head up. 

Cordelia sunk deeper into the bath. No. I can't give up. Erwin's risking his all for the same purpose. We have to keep moving forward. Even if it kills me, I'll avenge our father and bring the truth to light, she thought.

After finishing her bath, she drained the tub, wrapped a towel around herself, and headed back to her room. She clothed herself in her nightgown and sat at her desk. It was already pretty late, and tomorrow they'd be up early tomorrow to further assist in the cleanup. Regardless, she had research to do. Opening a secret compartment in her bookcase, she opened a lockbox that held a book. Cordelia picked the book up and placed it on her desk. She opened it to a specific page that held all her writings and exchanged letters from the survey corps about matters at hand. Cordelia browsed through the pages, writing notes in her journal along the way.

tik, tik. 

Her thoughts were interrupted by a noise at her window. She stood up and opened her window wide. Sitting on the flower pot next to the window was Erwin's bird, Rita. Wrapped around her leg was a note. Just like how things used to be when she was younger.

"Rita! Hello. Nice to see you." Cordelia said as she untied the note from the bird's leg. 

"Erwin must be having a late-night too, huh? Thank you for your work, Rita. Go home and rest." Cordelia said as she gave the hand signal to Rita to confirm she could be dismissed.

Excitedly, she opened the note. Erwin wrote to her only when he seemed to have news or information in which Cordelia could rightfully assist.

CC,

We heard an update regarding information about the Walls.

Cordelia's heartbeat quickened. She gripped the note tightly. What? Was it true? Could this be happening finally after all these years? 

She took a deep breath and continued with the note.

According to one of the Wallist Priests, there are Titans upholding the walls. They know something. Nick is his name, specifically. I know the Wallists are tight with some in the Interior. They seem to be targeting two of our own in the Scouts, though we don't know why. Any information you can find could potentially impact humanity to extreme lengths.