Connections

Days passed and Cordelia still always found herself against the same wall in the refugee camp. Children were orphaned, loved ones were lost. Cordelia had clue what her next move would be. All she had were her father's notes. Should she find her brother? No, who knows if he was even still alive. Her thoughts became her downfall. She slipped into a depressive state.

One day, in particular, Cordelia sat against her wall, her legs held to her chest.

Footsteps approached, then stopped in front of her.

"Hey... You're Adaline Pixis' kid, aren't you?" A voice called to her.

Cordelia glanced up. A Garrison Soldier she recognized from Hannes's squad stared down at her.

"No. Not her kid." She shook her head, "Just a friend." Cordelia glanced away from the soldier.

"Yeah but she always said you were like family to her, right? What's your name again? I think it started with a 'C'..." The soldier trailed off.

"Ah! CC, I think!" The soldier was proud of himself. He smiled at her.

"Sure," Cordelia replied, bored.

The soldier shifted his weight, "Come with me. Commander Pixis would like to see you, he set some soldiers out to look for his sister. You at least know something, I'm sure."

"Yeah..." Cordelia squinted as she remembered the scene again.

"Come on, I promise he'll take care of you." The soldier offered his hand, "It's better than being here, anyway."

Cordelia stood up on her own. The soldier retracted his hand awkwardly.

"This way." He motioned. Cordelia followed.

The walk seemed long. Cordelia glanced about the area. Scrawny children made up a lot of the area. Sad civilians cradled each other. The amount of grief found in the area was obscure.

The two made it inside the innermost part of the refugee camp. Soldiers were posted at every corner. The soldier in front of Cordelia stopped in front of a door. He turned to glance back at Cordelia. She stared, emotionless, in front of her. He turned back towards the door and knocked.

"Come in."

The door opened. The soldier stepped into the room, Cordelia followed.

"Commander, Sir!" The soldier saluted.

"What is your report?" A bald man asked, staring at the paperwork in front of him.

Cordelia recognized him immediately. Commander Dot Pixis, Adaline's brother, sat at a desk, his soldier's around him. Pixis noticed Cordelia, shock growing on his face.

"Everyone, you're dismissed. Leave me with the girl."

"Sir?" One of his soldiers, a female, asked confused.

"It's fine. Leave us."