When It's Least Expected

Levi visited Cordelia every day and every chance he could. The two would talk about everything under the sun. Time always seemed to pass quicker when Levi was there. In fact, it was the reason why he was almost late to a few meetings-- Erwin was quite displeased but turned the other cheek.

Soon enough, it was Coronation Day. The soldiers of all military regiments found themselves in Mitras for Historia's coronation ceremony. Erwin, Levi, Cordelia, and Hange had arrived early to meet with Historia before the ceremony began. They were dressed properly in their dark green military trench coats. Cordelia's hair was in a neat bun that pulled her hair out of her face. The four of them looked stunning.

"Ah, Mitras," Erwin began as he stepped out of the carriage, "This place brings back some poor memories, huh Cordelia?" He turned to his sister who grimaced at his words as Levi assisted Cordelia in stepping out of the carriage.

He chuckled, "Let me know if you start to feel weak, we'll have to do quite a bit of walking," Erwin said to the group.

Cordelia sighed, "I'll be fine, Erwin." She said as she safely made her way to the ground. 

Erwin nodded, "Very well, let's go then," He said as they met up with their Military Police escorts. 

"Ah, it's been a while since we've seen Historia. I wonder how she's doing," Hange said as they walked up the steps towards the palace.

Levi shrugged, "It's a big responsibility becoming the Queen, she's got the weight of the Walls on her shoulders."

Cordelia was silent. She looked at Erwin in front of her then at Levi next to her.

"Was this... What she wanted?" She asked, "To become the Queen?"

Levi glanced at Cordelia, "Not exactly."

"What do you mean?" Cordelia asked in confusion. 

Erwin interjected, "She is the rightful heir so it's only natural for her to do so. In a way, she didn't have a choice."

"Didn't have a choice?" Cordelia repeated, "Erwin, did you force her into this position?" She sounded irritated. 

Erwin stopped walking suddenly. He turned around and glared at Cordelia, "We didn't have a choice. And neither did she. In the end, she accepted it. There was only so much we could do," He turned back around and continued walking, "We can't afford to have full Military Rule-- The people wouldn't accept it." 

Cordelia sighed, "Even so, she's only a child... What a huge responsibility."

"I know," Erwin said, "But this is how it had to be done."

The rest of the walk was silent as they entered the palace. The last time Cordelia was in the palace was her trial. The idea sent shivers down her spine-- She hated being in this awful place. They were escorted by two Military Police officials as they made way for Historia's room.

After arriving at their destination, one of the Military Police guards knocked on the door for them.

"Your Highness, you have some guests."

"Send them in, please!" A small voice called on the other side of the door. 

The Military Police official nodded as Erwin opened the door. They entered the room and found a small blonde girl in a white dress with her hair in a formally wrapped bun standing at the window. She turned to face them as they entered the room with a nervous smile on her face. The room was extravagant-- the architecture was beautiful. Certainly, a room built for royalty.