I'm Here

But you'll never be alone
I'll be with you from dusk till dawn
Baby, I am right here
I'll hold you when things go wrong

~~~

It pained Ryan to see Brendon really standing in front of him. The man was leaning against the door for support, a blanket wrapped around his body. His face was pale, giving him a less lively complexion. Ryan was worried he would faint if he stayed standing any longer.

"Why are you here?" Ryan snapped out of his assessing Brendon's state.

"Are you okay?" Brendon's eyes widen in surprise for a second before a frown took its place. He turned away.

"Why do you care?" Just leave."

"Brendon, please. You don't look so good." Brendon scoffed.

"That's none of your concern anymore. Bye." He moved back and went to shut the door but Ryan rushed forward. He slammed his hand on the wood just in time to keep it from shutting in his face.

"Can we just talk?" He could hear Brendon slightly panting through the small crack of the door.

"Please... leave me.. alone." Ryan could hear the pain in his lover's voice. It only made him want to resist the request more. Brendon had his forehead pressed to the back of the door. His eyes were shut to help him concentrate on his breathing.

"Ry...an." A loud thump caused Ryan's heart to spike.

"Brendon?" Ryan's breathing quickened when he got no response. "Brendon?" He pushed on the door, alarmed when there was a stronger resistance compared to the feeble hold Brendon had earlier. He pushed harder, flinching as whatever was blocking the door slide back. He poked his head in the larger opening he created. It took everything he had not to go into panic mode at the sight of Brendon passed out on the floor.

"Fuck," he let out. He braced his hands on the door and mumbled a quick apology as he started pushing again. He had to look away, not wanting to watch Brendon's limp body give away so easily. When there was a gap big enough, he squeezed through and kneeled beside the other. He pressed two fingers to the side of Brendon's neck and sighed in relief at the feeling of a pulse.

Ryan quickly wrapped his arms behind Brendon's shoulders and under his knees, gently lifting him off the ground. He held the unconscious man close to his body as he headed to the bedroom. He grimaced at the heat he could easily feel radiating from Brendon's body.

"You're gonna be okay, babe. I'm gonna be right here by your side. I won't leave you again,"  Ryan promised. He kissed the side of Brendon's head as they got into the room. He laid the man down on the bed and covered him with a blanket. He went to the restroom and soaked a washcloth to put over Brendon's forehead.

After, he sat on the floor and watched Brendon sleep. He laid his head on the mattress, reached an arm over and gently stroked Brendon's hair. The man let out soft huffs as he slept. Ryan wasn't sure how much longer it'd be until Brendon woke up. Periodically he would rewet the towel and reposition the blanket when Brendon would groan and moved around in his sleep. 

He made sure to stay by his side, not taking his eyes off the man he loved. At one point, he climbed into the bed and laid in front of Brendon. He continued to comb his fingers through the man's hair, realizing that Brendon seemed more at peace when he did so. The reaction made Ryan smile, remembering how much Brendon loved getting his hair played with before. 

"I'm sorry, Bren," he whispered, his smile falling. "I should've at least let you explain. I was just scared and hurt and I shouldn't have left." He let out a soft sigh. "It's my fault you're in pain right now. I'm sorry, baby. Please forgive me. I don't want to be the reason you're hurting anymore."

"What are you doing here?" Ryan pulled away and sat up to face the door. Spencer stood in the doorway with a confused look on his face. Ryan scrambled to his feet, almost falling out of the bed. He suddenly felt embarrassed for being caught by his lover's best friend. 

"Spencer I uh.. I just came by to talk to Brendon and he fainted. I didn't do anything I swear." Spencer chuckled at Ryan's nervousness. 

"Relax. I'm not going to bite your head off or anything." Ryan nodded but couldn't help fidgeting in place when neither of them said anything. Spencer walked up to the bed and looked down at Brendon sleeping peacefully.

"How's he doing?" Ryan sat down on the floor beside Brendon.

"His fever has gone down some." Spencer nodded.

"Of course he starts getting better the moment you show up." Ryan chuckled at the comment.

"Why do you say that?" Spencer took a seat beside Ryan.

"I think the stress from the breakup has been making him worse and he subconsciously thought it was okay to get better when he saw you." Ryan felt himself blush even though he found the idea very unlikely. "Are you going to stay long?" Ryan didn't understand how Spencer could be so calm with all of this. Once he found out Brendon's secret, he ran.

"How'd you do it," Ryan heard himself asking. Spencer gave a small smile then let out a sigh.

"It wasn't easy. I wasn't even sure I could stay at first."

"What made you change your mind."

"He's my best friend. I couldn't leave him alone." Ryan let out a soft chuckle and looked down at his lap.

"You make it sound so easy."

"It's not," Spencer laughed. "Nothing's easy when it comes to his stubborn ass."

"Do you ever think about it? The fact that you're gonna lose him?"

"All the time." Ryan looked over to see Spencer shredding silent tears.

"I've tried changing his mind but it's no use."

"Do you know why?" Spencer dropped his head and sniffed before looking at Ryan with a pained smile. The look was answer enough, causing a lump to form in Ryan's throat. "Why?" Spencer wiped his eyes and turned back to Brendon.

"That's something you have to ask him. If he decides to tell you or not, that's on him." Ryan wanted to object, but he understood. "I know it's hard to accept, but in the end, it's his choice."

"I don't want to lose him though." Spencer was silent for a moment before speaking in a barely audible voice.

"Me neither."

"But I can't just leave him again." Spencer patted Ryan on the back and smiled.

"I know."